Dreamcast to NT 4.0 Dialup w/ crossover cable

Thread: Dreamcast to NT 4.0 Dialup w/ crossover cable

Post Dreamcast to NT 4.0 Dialup w/ crossover cable

OK, This might seem silly to some people, but I would like to set up my Dreamcast to dial into my Server through RAS without using my actual phonelines. I tried it with a homemade crossover cable, but I think it might be a little long - might be losing the signal (50' cord was used) so then I got to thinking that I might have missed a step. The answering modem doesn't answer right now. Anyone ever done modem to modem connections through a crossover phone cable? If so, is there anything I have to do to the answering modem since there won't be ring to let it know there is an incoming call? Thanks in advance.

Erm.. we do this all the time. Dreamcasts are always needing to be connected to NT servers.

Sorry... I don't know at all. I just was really curious to know why. I doubt you'll manage it. I'd be pleased for you if you do.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

See, I knew someone would think it at least a little silly. The reason is that I want to be able to access the internet/ online gaming features, but I only have one phone line. It has standard dialup access (I have used it to dial into a standard dialup ISP,) but I have broadband at home and would like to access that. The only broadband adaptor that I can find so far some jack@$$ wants over $300 for when they were originally sold for about $70 but are not in production anymore. The main question is can I do the modem to modem over a crossover. I hope that answers the why part.

I have no idea if what you want to do is technically possible, but as far as broadband adapters go

$119 at the link below. that's still pricey but certainly not $300
    <a href="http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/search.php?query=dreamcast+broadband" target="_blank">http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/search.php?query=dreamcast+broadband</a>

hope you can figure it out
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

[quote] I have no idea if what you want to do is technically possible, but as far as broadband adapters go
    $119 at the link below. that's still pricey but certainly not $300
    <a href="http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/search.php?query=dreamcast+broadband" target="_blank">http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/search.php?query=dreamcast+broadband</a>

hope you can figure it out <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the suggestion, saw that one earlier, problem is I would have to mod the Dreamcast or have a special boot disk to run the browser. I would definitely need to mod it for online gaming (apparently that's a Japanese version.)

Sux to be me today... oh well... I will find a way.

You can't do what you are tryting to. At least, not with just a cable. Unlike an Ethernet network, the modem does not supply it's own voltage. The line has to have a voltage already, and the modem will simply modulate the signal (i.e. mo-dem). You may be able to get it to work by putting 40V DC on the line (adding a DC power supply), but I'm not sure how it will work. Never tried it before, although I have seen such supplies listed in telecom catalogs.

[quote]Originally posted by trinitro:
    <strong>You can't do what you are tryting to. At least, not with just a cable. Unlike an Ethernet network, the modem does not supply it's own voltage. The line has to have a voltage already, and the modem will simply modulate the signal (i.e. mo-dem). You may be able to get it to work by putting 40V DC on the line (adding a DC power supply), but I'm not sure how it will work. Never tried it before, although I have seen such supplies listed in telecom catalogs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, cant you connect two computers with a null modem cable? I dont know much about connecting two modems together but I could have sworn you could do this....
    Those who say dont know, and those who know dont say

This is correct, it is a little silly.

Ive read a few things about turning your DC into a router, but this is a little different. Even if you somehow managed to connect, I do not believe you would be able to connect to any form of dreamcast service *through* your NT box.

Perhaps another hobby is in order, pushing sh1t uphill maybe?

[quote]Originally posted by twelve:
    <strong>See, I knew someone would think it at least a little silly. The reason is that I want to be able to access the internet/ online gaming features, but I only have one phone line. It has standard dialup access (I have used it to dial into a standard dialup ISP,) but I have broadband at home and would like to access that. The only broadband adaptor that I can find so far some jack@$$ wants over $300 for when they were originally sold for about $70 but are not in production anymore. The main question is can I do the modem to modem over a crossover. I hope that answers the why part.</strong><hr></blockquote>
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars