Network Problems

Thread: Network Problems

Post Network Problems

I am networking 3 computers,the host has 2 nic's,dsl connection,running xp home,2nd one is a laptop running xp home,and 3rd is running 98se.
    I can get them networked with no problem xp makes this really simple,but i can leave them and come back in about 20 minutes and I've lost my internet connection on all but the host computer.
    I can still access files on all computers but no internet with the excertion of the host.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but when we used ICS, in the later days, all of the computers would lose their internet connection, except for the host. To get a connection back, we would hvae to run winipconfig on the host machine and renew the ip address for the ICSHARE adapter. This would fix it most of the time. You can try that, but I don't know if that's your problem or not. Good Luck!
    "If there's a better use for the Internet, I haven't found it."
    -Homer Simpson

don't know if this will help and I don't know XP, but alot of new network cards have a setting that says "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" that I disable when I come across.

On a 98 box if you find the NIC in the Device Manager, choose 'properties' it is on a 'power saving' or similar tab.

Like I said I don't know where it might be at on an XP box.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded