Networking qusetion win 98

Thread: Networking qusetion win 98

Post Networking qusetion win 98

I have a client who is running 2 dell win 98 computers on a network in there office, both machines are the same both running 98. they have a network setup with a 4 port hub on the one machine there is attatched a HP 1000 laser printer. they called because they couldnt print across the network... well i got there and checked it out. they are running tcp/ip for the network. 1 is 192.0.0.10 and 255.255.25.0 9 that is the one with the printer0 the other one is 192.0.0.9 with 255.255.255.0 both have client for ms networks loaded and both have file and print sharing loaded and the shares created as full access. neither machine is on the internet. the problem is that the machine with the printer on it can print to its local printer . and it can go on the network and see the other machine 9 sometimes) but the other machine 9 without the printer ) will just keep searching and searching when you go into network neighborhood. with the flashlight icon waving around and such. i removed tcp/ip and reinstalled it on both machines.... hooked my laptop into the network and configered it as 192.0.0.11 with 255.255.255.0 and it could see both machines.... the problem lies with that darn machine with out the printer that will not see the one with the printer on it. ....all i setup in tcp/ip as opposed to the dafault settings is specifying an ip and subnet . i even installed net beui and still had no luck getting the 2 to talk.... and get this both machines can ping just fine...... with netbeui installed every once in a while the one with out the printer will show up the others on the network but .....well i just dont know..... please help .
    CMT : )
    HUNGRY?.....UNEMPLOYED?.....EAT YOUR F#%$ING
    JAP CAR!!!!!!!

You say you installed netbuei did you set it as the default protocol? Try that and remove tcp/ip. Since you are not using internet or internet sharing then you don't need this protocol. Netbuei tends to run a little faster (so I've heard) in peer-to-peer settings. Good luck.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Are the 2 pcs able to see each other's drives?

Did you install the 1000 as a network printer or a local printer?

If I remember correctly when I did my setup, I did it as a local printer, but mapped it thoughthe other PC (I browsed for it)...
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

golo i think i did that. i know i used net beui on both but not sure if i got both set as defaut. i was getting rather frustrated. in response to post #2 i can not see anything from the computer with out the printer. no error messages. just like the network is working but REALLY REALLY SLOOOOOW! you click on netwrok neighborhood. and it just seeks with the littel flashlight and you get nothing...... they sais that when it was working that it was taking an extremly long time to send documents to the remote printer.......

ok let me recap my thoughts.... with net beui you just install it and that is it...... add file and print sharing, same workgruop names, different computer names. share your folders drives and printers and you are done right?
    with tcp/ip
    you have to set up the ip address for it to work i am asuming.... like 192.168 0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and set the subnet to 255.255.255.0 do you then set tcp/ip as the default protocol? lets hear some more suggestions. i have to go back there on monday.
    thanks all

CMT
    JAP CAR!!!!!!!

[quote]Originally posted by Cable Modem Tech:
    <strong>
    ok let me recap my thoughts.... with net beui you just install it and that is it...... add file and print sharing, same workgruop names, different computer names. share your folders drives and printers and you are done right?
    with tcp/ip you have to set up the ip address for it to work i am asuming.... like 192.168 0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and set the subnet to 255.255.255.0 do you then set tcp/ip as the default protocol? lets hear some more suggestions. i have to go back there on monday.
    thanks all

CMT </strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes that is correct. Like I said in my previous post I would lose the tcp/ip unless they are going to be sharing internet in the near future.

Here's another idea. It might be a long shot but it happend to me. Are both the nic's the same brand? I had a network of 5 computers that would not recognize my laptop when I plugged it into the network. What it boiled down to was that the auto duplex setting was not working (well it was but it couldn't communicate) I dropped the setting manually to 10MBS full duplex and the thing worked like a charm. It might do something for you it might not. If they are the same nic this probably wont be the problem it will probably be in the configuration somewhere.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

cool, I'll try that. with the net buei thing.. the nics are the same . i may just take them off auto sense for the heck of it.... ill give it a shot when i get back there
    thanks
    CMT
    JAP CAR!!!!!!!

Interesting. I had 3 Win98 machines, one was SE, sharing files and printers (one is a HP 1100A) and I never installed NetBoui...
    Its not running, and I don't remember ever seeing it when I had 98. In fact, as far as I know, the machine that still has 98 on it is not running NetBoui (the other 2 machines are XP amd ME now).

Remeber, do not install it as a network printer.
    Install it as a local machine, then after its installed, try to redirect it through the PC its hooked up to.
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

Pardon me if I'm repeating any suggestions, but I would make sure each computer running TCP/IP...
    is on the same subnet (255.255.255.0),is in the same workgroup, has a unique IP address,has a unique computer name, has client for microsoft networks as the primary logon, has file and printer sharing enabled, and the PC with the printer has the printer shared with a share name, and the computer with the printer is printing to it's LPT port, (not a TCP port or IP address).

You say they are on a 4 port hub, make sure it is just a dumb hub, and not a managed router like Linksys type ones, as the managed types need their own IP address and subnet etc.

Hope This Helps
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Just a thought: install the printer on the machine going though the network.

Uninstall, then go though the Network neighborhood and locate the printer. Select it and then as it promts install the driver by way of the network Identification rather than installing and then reseting the port.

... also just try to go around the HUB with a crossover-cable from one PC to the other... so you're sure that the HUB isn't (or is) involved in the problem.