I have a client who is running 2 dell win 98 computers on a network in there office, both machines are the same both running 98. they have a network setup with a 4 port hub on the one machine there is attatched a HP 1000 laser printer. they called because they couldnt print across the network... well i got there and checked it out. they are running tcp/ip for the network. 1 is 192.0.0.10 and 255.255.25.0 9 that is the one with the printer0 the other one is 192.0.0.9 with 255.255.255.0 both have client for ms networks loaded and both have file and print sharing loaded and the shares created as full access. neither machine is on the internet. the problem is that the machine with the printer on it can print to its local printer . and it can go on the network and see the other machine 9 sometimes) but the other machine 9 without the printer ) will just keep searching and searching when you go into network neighborhood. with the flashlight icon waving around and such. i removed tcp/ip and reinstalled it on both machines.... hooked my laptop into the network and configered it as 192.0.0.11 with 255.255.255.0 and it could see both machines.... the problem lies with that darn machine with out the printer that will not see the one with the printer on it. ....all i setup in tcp/ip as opposed to the dafault settings is specifying an ip and subnet . i even installed net beui and still had no luck getting the 2 to talk.... and get this both machines can ping just fine...... with netbeui installed every once in a while the one with out the printer will show up the others on the network but .....well i just dont know..... please help .
CMT : )