[RESOLVED] dsl

Thread: [RESOLVED] dsl

steve3947

Post dsl

i was wondering if anyone knows how i can use my DSL service with 2 computers. i want to be able to use them at the same time. can anyone please tell me how to connect it and what devices thet i will need to do this. thanks

MacGyver

Yes it is very possible. There are several scenarios:

You can use a simple ethernet hub and hook the DSL modem into the uplink port on the hub, then the computers into the other ports on the hub. Depending on the modem you get from the providor, you may be limited in the number of computers you can connect in this way, or it may not work at all.

You can purchase a specialized Cable/DSL router made by Linksys, Netgear, or DLink and set up things the same way you would as above, but it's more complicated because you have to setup IP addresses and routing and such.

You can use Windows ICS (Internet connection sharing) to share the network. You install two NIC's in one computer and use that computer as a host for the other(s). The disadvantage with this setup is that the host computer must always be on for the other to be able to connect. If your provider uses a modem with a USB interface, then you must use this option.

There are lots of sites on the net dedicated to this, among them are www.practicallynetworked.com, www.dslreports.com, and www.speedguide.net . If you know people in your area who have DSL, talk to them to get tips and pointers that may be specific to your particular DSL ISP.

------------------
    All this technology, and I still can't download a pizza!

[This message has been edited by MacGyver (edited March 11, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by MacGyver (edited March 11, 2001).]

BurnFEST

Lightbulb

Hmmm i dont use DSL, but with Windows 98SE, ME or 2000 wouldnt u just be able to use net sharing t oshare the connection like i do with dialup...
    Sort on the topic, im thinking of getting cable, and wodering what will happen if i plug the ethernet cable from the cable modem into my hub rather than my computer what will happen?? Would this share it or what??

------------------
    When all else fails read the instructions

MacGyver

It's possible that it may work, however using a hub means that any additional computers will be using an additional IP address. some ISP's charge for this, others don't. If you use a cable/DSL router instead of a hub, then you'll only request one IP addresses and behind the router assign private IP's via NAT.

------------------
    All this technology, and I still can't download a pizza!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BurnFEST:
    Sort on the topic, im thinking of getting cable, and wodering what will happen if i plug the ethernet cable from the cable modem into my hub rather than my computer what will happen?? Would this share it or what??

</font>
    I tried that with my cable modem thinking it would work. No dice. For my provider you have to use the ICS or router. I started with the ICS, got frustrated by having to make sure the connected machine was running, then bought the router. Now I just plug the router into the hub and all 5 of the machines in my house are connected. The Linksys BEFSR11 Cable/DSL router has DHCP as well, so there is no need to configure IP's. Just enable it and set the machines on the LAN to use it. So easy it was almost disappointing.

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

What you will need:

1. Router - Linsys 119.00 (w 4 port 10/100 Hub, $149), Netgear (same price as linksys, D-Link (w/4 port 10/100 $99)
    D-Link (the one I have) is a piece of cake to configure, has support for Virtual Servers (IE. allows you to run web based servers from behind it's proxy services.)

2. Two-NIC's and a Proxy server. Install both NIC's broadband on one, local net on the other, then install and setup proxy server - proxy allows many computers to share one ip address. You may wish to have a proxy server that supports virtual servers to be able to run a streaming server, ftp server, etc from a server other than the proxy.

That is all that you need - have fun and if you go with the Linksys, D-Link or other external solution - they are really simple to setup - just follow the instructions

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010