[RESOLVED] Where's my friggin' connection?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Where's my friggin' connection?

Hybrid View

geeksRus

Cool Where's my friggin' connection?

ok...maybe i am missin the obvious...
    we have cable access in the shop with 5 workstations on the network...my workstation loses connection to the internet at random times...no one else has this problem...sometimes it will be good for an hour or more and at other times it is a matter of a few seconds...if i reboot it comes back...i have replaced cable, NIC and even the motherboard...when i lose internet connection i can still ping the router but can't get passed it. boss has several cisco certs...his business card is the size of a business envelope...his reaction...'gee, thats weird'. i have no letters after my name but i don't need any to know sumthin is wrong...any ideas?

------------------
    ..sing on brother...play on drummer...(j. hendrix)

[This message has been edited by geeksRus (edited March 01, 2001).]

LagMonster

Make sure the router is configured to lease your IP for longer. Have you tried switching ports in the router just incase it might be that. Make sure your keeping your connection active so it doesn't time out.

I am just babbling. If any of this works I'd be surprised but there Ideas.

Some time it helps to go HALF DUPLEX or/and drop it down to 10baseT, Some NICs have problem with certain Routers.

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

x_789

you can ping the router but cant get passed the router? that sounds like your router is configured wrong what kind of router is it??? does it have built in ports or are you uplinked to the router? need more info X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

Cool

Are you using software routing or router chek out LINKSYS Routers for cable Modems they assign ips to all workstation on your net. Check your TCP/IP Routing Table to aviod conflicts in your routing and subnetting profiles.

------------------
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA Lifes a Beach
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

CiscoGuy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by geeksRus:
    'gee, thats weird'. i have no letters after my name but i don't need any to know sumthin is wrong...any ideas?

</font>
    Sounds like something our users would say. Argh, its friday night and I'm stuck at work.

Anyway, do you use dhcp or static addressing, if dhcp have you tried to release/renew an IP. Can you ping other stations on your subnet, is it your WHOLE network connection or just your connection through the gateway to the Inetnet that you are losing. Obviously if you can ping NOTHING, you need to look at your machine carefully, or perhaps your hub/switch port is faulty. One last thing, cables, they can and do go bad.

What kind of router are you using?

[This message has been edited by CiscoGuy (edited March 02, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by CiscoGuy (edited March 02, 2001).]

geeksRus

thanx everyone for the responses...i will try these ideas...sorry about the rant about the certs...that was unprofessional of me.

geeksRus

------------------

computerpro

If you really need the help...you need to give up a little bit more information.

(or everyone will just keep asking you longer and longer questions in order to try and figure it out)

geeksRus

ok...more info...at the present time we are using a little D-link router with 2 rj45 connections on the back...i don't know the model #...but i don't think the problem is in the router...i think it is in my win98se network settings...i obtain my IP address automatically...i use DHCP for WINS...i use the router IP for the gateway...i use the ISP's DNS #'s for DNS search order.
    i now have a kingston network card on a ASUS mobo installed in my system...thats it...i hate this...i feel like such a dumbass at this point...i don't mean to dump on the boss...i really should be able to figger this out...but everytime i look there is a new router on the network...there are 2 big Cisco routers sitting by the server that he couldn't figger out how to setup...aren't those kinda expensive?
    i can troubleshoot and fix a PC with the best of em...but this is sumthing i haven't had time to learn about yet...am i making it more complicated than it really is? i really appreciate the help.

------------------

Okay, have you tried removing and reloading the network components loaded. Also if you use release/renew under winipcfg does it start to work again? If so, this was the problem I had, I repaired it by replacing my NIC with a 10Bt /half NIC, since my network requirements are fairly low and my cable modem will not be any slower by doing this.

Also check to see when your lease expires, see if the time is set really low (although it does not sound like it could be that since it is not the same ammount of time between losses). Aso install a different type of NIC so that all the drivers get reloaded - and change PCI slots.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

jetpower

Yo, this disconnection thing is the same trouble I'm having, on an NT network with 20 users, who have 3-day leases. My short-term solution was to put winipcfg on desktops of complaining users; renewing (or releasing and renewing) leases always fixes browsing.

Here's the basic configuration: Some users have 10mb NICs, some 10/100, with hubs uplinked to the router. The 10 mb hub is uplinked to a 10/100, which is uplinked to the router, which doubles as another 10mb hub. All users are on W9x. Some users have the disconnex trouble, some don't (or they don't complain of it).

There is a mismash of cheap NICs - 10 & 10/100 - in this network, but most are now DLink or SMC (well, we do have a 3COM or two somewhere in there). Our network settings are like geeksRus's, but we use an internal W98 machine for our gateway.

From prior posts, it sounds like the NICs, or perhaps the hub combo, might be issues here. I thought it might have to do with the DSL provider's network, but changing ISPs (for other reasons) had no effect. So, it must be internal.

FYI, this is not a new problem here. It affects older and newer workstations. I'm thinking of consolidating hubs, partly to address this.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

[This message has been edited by jetpower (edited March 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by jetpower (edited March 10, 2001).]

x_789

OK cisco asked a good question when it happends can you ping other machines? find this out also renew and release and see if it works then last what kind of hub are you using I had a crapy linksys hub that was not able to negotiate the 10 to 100 for the cable modem and sometimes it would just shi^ on one or two ports. Only thing we could figure was it mac table was triping out. Still need more info dude. Also we all know certfied Idiots and its ok to talk about them just take care to not bunch everyone into that .X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

jetpower

Interesting. I posted my prior note because my situation is so close to the one that is afflicting geeksRus, but I just noted an important difference: upon being dropped, geeksRus can still ping the router, whereas my users can't ping anything until renewing the lease (w/winipcfg).

I'm just thinking aloud here, but can someone tell me how I might do an internal traffic audit? Seems that being able to check realtime throughput might put the finger right on the problem source.

I'd really like to replace some of the multiple uplinking (a few workstations are 4 links from the router) over here with a fatter hub - maybe that'll help the situation...

Thanks in advance for all input.