[RESOLVED] Sharing cable when they use MAC addresses?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Sharing cable when they use MAC addresses?

Dreddnews

Resolved [RESOLVED] Sharing cable when they use MAC addresses?

I recently got Knology Cable Internet access. But I noticed that they are using my one NIC's MAC address to allow it to get online. I just ordered a Linksys 4 Port Router/Switch for my home network, but will that work? Since they only let the one MAC address on, how with the router share the connection with my 3 other PC's? Please I need help...

------------------
    Damon Armour
    Webmaster of Dredd News
    http://www.dreddnews.com
    [email protected]

xtac

Yes, that will work! The Router will have its own NIC in it. The ISP will use that MAC address. All your other PC's will connect to the Switch part of you Router.

The Router will basically change your entire Private Network computer Information to what the Outside Network Needs to see. When the Information comes back from the Internet, the Router knows what PC to send the information too.

Make sure your Private Network PC's have different IP's, or I think the Linksys Router will have a DHCP Server. This should be in the Instructions, or just post here if you still have questions.

------------------
    http://www.mymcginley.com

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by xtac:
    Yes, that will work! The Router will have its own NIC in it. The ISP will use that MAC address. All your other PC's will connect to the Switch part of you Router.

The Router will basically change your entire Private Network computer Information to what the Outside Network Needs to see. When the Information comes back from the Internet, the Router knows what PC to send the information too.

Make sure your Private Network PC's have different IP's, or I think the Linksys Router will have a DHCP Server. This should be in the Instructions, or just post here if you still have questions.

</font>
    You are right. Cable routers have their own MAC addresses and do use DHCP to assign addresses to the other computers on the network. It also acts as a firewall.

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dreddnews:
    I noticed that they are using my one NIC's MAC address to allow it to get online

</font>
    What do you mean by this statement, did you have to tell them what your MAC address is? If so, Linksys has the ability to "emulate" your computers MAC address

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

x_789

Well the two cable setups i have delt with TCI and Roadrunner they give their modems an internal 10.X.X.X ip and that is dchp with a 10 day lease then they also give you a possible static for the nic card which they provision cards buy macs and the ip that they belong too. I have not had any problem with junking their dlink cards and putting in what ever I wanted and it working. I think more than anything they like to scare people and they also use this method to track their hardware. :::Just call and ask then if you can use your own nic card because your machine has one built in and you dont have any free pci, or isa slots and you pc dosent have a usb port that should pretty much put them in a corner where they cant give you any ways to use their cards. If they say yes you can use your own card then you know the mac actually dosent have anything to do with your connection. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

[This message has been edited by x_789 (edited March 05, 2001).]

mineman

Your modem is actually what gets your mac address and holds on to it. The cable co. does some kind of resistance check through the line. To reset the mac address on the modem just restart the modem.( Just unplug it for about a minute and it will pick up the new mac address. When you install the router it will tell you to unplug everything and power it all down. You plug it up to one machine. Make your settings and turn the power on to the modem and then reset that specific machine and then set all other machines to dhcp and your good to go. I have the same setup but I have the just the router without the switch on it. I have it plugged into a d-link dss-8+ switch with six machines hooked up to it and all machines going at one time on the web. Only one machine ever gets slow and that is the old 386 I have for my nephew when he comes over.My avg. download speed on Groupware is about 500+ Kbps. But MY UPLOAD HAS ALWAYS SUCKED. WHY I HAVE YET TO FIGURE IT OUT.

CiscoGuy

Yeah, when the ATT guy came to install my cable, I already had a machine up and running for him. No cover on the case, and cdrom sitting unmounted on top. Had 2 nics installed in it ready to go. All I did was hand him a cat 5 to plug his modem into. I didn't let him install any of his crap on it, nor did I let him do any of the configuration. I asked him what I needed.

He even said that it was one of the fastest booting machines he had ever seen, which I don't understand. Its just a cheap mobo with a p2/450 and an old 1.6gb hdd in it. Guess he just hasn't seen that many machines.

x_789

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mineman:
    . But MY UPLOAD HAS ALWAYS SUCKED. WHY I HAVE YET TO FIGURE IT OUT. </font>
    its because of either the modem is setup to only allow so much data or the the way they configure your pvc this is why adsl smokes on dl but suck on ul as for sdsl it hauls both ways but it cost a kidney and a lung to pay for. ITs all with the hardware and the way the set up their circuits. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

Cable modem service is limited to 128K on uploads.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."