[RESOLVED] Going Crazy!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Going Crazy!

Hybrid View

alexsio

Question Going Crazy!

Hello,

i am going nuts! this is my problem: i am running a network of 213.38.33.0 subnet 255.255.255.128. Clients pick ip addresses from a dhcp server. All clients accesss the internet directly through a router 213.38.33.1. All of a sudden, some clients cannot access the router. this happened first on a W2k proff, then win95b and now a win98se client. they can ping all other clients and servers but cannot ping the router. i have tried using static ip's, changing ip's, reinstalling NIC drivers and also reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol in all cases but to no avail. in all cases i changed the network cards and the problem went away. but surely does this mean that these network cards are faulty, yet they can connect to the network and ping all other machines apart from the router?

anyone with an idea of what is happening?

Cool

The Problem is with the hardware compatability issue with the network card hardware issue. And UNC Naming for Windows 2000 and Win 9x can not see each other on the network.

------------------
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA Lifes a Beach
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

I wouldn't recommend using that subnet mask, it can cause some problems. Go to the 255.255.255.192 subnet instead.

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

alexsio

Question

Dear NTTECH1,

Could you please be a bit more specific? The NIC's in question were all 3Com 3C905b. All the correct drivers were downloaded form the 3com website, and had been working fine for over 3 months. I do not see where UNC naming comes in when one tcp/ip client connects to another.

iamtheman

To be honest it sounds more like a problem on the router. Two things I would like to know, What kind of router? and Are those Public IP addresses?

By the way if those aren't public IP addresses you shouldn't be using that scope.

------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

alexsio

iamtheman,
    the ip adresses are public. the router is a Megapac 2003 Frame Relay router. if the problem is with the router do you think that it can selectively choose who to respond to and who not to? Remember that at the time one of the problematic clients cannot connect to the router, the rest of the network is running at full throttle.

thanks.

iamtheman

Unfortunately I have no experience with that type of router. I have however seen routers do all kinds of odd ball things. I would go through all the settings on the router and look for something out of the ordinary, if the pc's can still get to the network but not the router its got to be something about the router. Or something between the router and the clients, check hubs/switches, cables, etc.

As odd as this may sound it almost sounds like the router has a problem with its arp cache. The only thing that you've been changing is the NIC cards (new MAC address). What kind of NIC cards are they?

------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

It does sound like the router may not be allowing those MAC addresses through - check the settings on the router and try clearing any and all cached information and logs - basically so that it operates as if new to your network.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

supatech

Have you tryed a tracert? can you ping outside of you subnet. 255.255.255.192 is no better than .128 it wont even work if if you have all four /25 networks in use .192 would be using 11 as the masked bits and that would be broadcast. I don't think its your arp cache. are you using ATM for you frame relay?

supatech

One more thing, this also sounds like a default gateway issue. double check your dhcp scope and settings