[RESOLVED] Linksys 8-port Router\Switch

Thread: [RESOLVED] Linksys 8-port Router\Switch

homepc

Post Linksys 8-port Router\Switch

I'm trying to setup a Linksys 8-port router to a Verison DSL Modem. If I plug the DSL modem directly into the computer NIC card, I get through, but if I connect the DSL modem to the Linksys router, and connect the computer to the router, I can't get through. Can anyone please help me!! Thanks!!

Ray

if your using PPPoE you need to enable it on the router then enter your username and password in the router configuration
    IF your using PPPoE....it may be different if your PPPoA
    also do you have a static or dynamic ip??

[This message has been edited by Weazel (edited March 07, 2001).]
    #3 1951-2001

homepc

I think I'm obtaining an IP automatically, but when I connect the DSL modem directly to the computer and try to connect, it will immediately ask me for my user and password, that's how I know im getting connected. But when I connect the DSL modem to the router and connect the computer to the router also and try to connect, it just sits there trying to connect. Am I making sence?

MacGyver

What model of router do you have?

------------------
    All this technology, and I still can't download a pizza!

homepc

The model router that I'm using is a BEFSR81.

Thanks!

Ray

MacGyver

OK, what you have there is a DSL/Cable Router that is PPPoE capable. PPPoE is a protocol that DSL and Cable use to authenticate you to the network. You don't need to use your DSL PPPoE access software anymore because the router has PPPoE software built in. Same goes for any other computer that you hook up to it.

Read the instructions for the router, there is a setup menu that you have to access through a web browser. The docs will tell you how to get there. You'll have to enter DNS servers, etc. in this config setup. I would go to http://www.practicallynetworked.com/.../hwrouters.htm and check out their instructions on the subject. Good luck and happy surfing.

------------------
    All this technology, and I still can't download a pizza!

x_789

ok if you are using dhcp which i am sure you are on a pppoe the go to this link its the actuall manual unless you have it then see page 16 or maula or this pdf file. IT explains how to set up the pppoe feature. you also what to set ti to obtain and IP address this will do dhcp for the router and get your dns and all theat crap automatiaclly then. Set the internal network to dhcp also PAge 10 for setting up lan. That will get you fixed anymore questions just ask. Also Im sorry you bought a Linksys. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"