[RESOLVED] Problem connecting hub to router, anyone can help me????

Thread: [RESOLVED] Problem connecting hub to router, anyone can help me????

Ricardo de Portugal

Question Problem connecting hub to router, anyone can help me????

I am trying to connect a 3com hub 10/100 mbits to a router, yes i know the uplink stuff, R.F.M i red the manual and it tels me to connect the router to the hub with a straith-trugh cable, i did, i connected the uplink router's port to the eight's hub port( the eight one ). I also tried with a cross - over.
    Wath is the correct way to do it???

Thanks for reading this long message....
    p.s. sorry for my bad english

------------------
    babyface

What kind of hub? Are you getting a link light?

------------------
    Your mother looks like a hampster and your father smells of elderberries!
    To each his/her own.

computerpro

The correct way to do it is to insure that you are connected to an "uplink" port, or are using a crossover cable.

We're just talking about a physical connection here. But it needs to be the "right" one. You need to give a little more info. if you want to take it further.

Some uplink ports double as regular ports and there is sometime a switch, have you tried that?

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

arcade

you might try another cable.. depending upon if its home made or shop bought...

Question

Whats the actual problem you are having, saying you are having a problem doesn't say a lot What type of router? Are you getting a link light on either the hub or router or both? Is this a little cable/dsl router or a cisco or something close? If you are getting a link light then its most likely a "software" configuration issue.

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Ricardo de Portugal

About the connecting problem
    The problem is that i get a link light but i canīt ping to computers connected, one in the hub the other in the router, it is possible to be the configuration, but what i think it's a cable problem, can anyone confirm this???

------------------
    babyface

xtac

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ricardo de Portugal:
    but i canīt ping to computers connected, one in the hub the other in the router,
    </font>
    Are you stating that a PC is in the HUB, and the other is on the other side of the Router? And the PC on the HUB can not ping the other? If so, Sounds like a routing issue. What kind of router do you have?

For example: the PC on the HUB has an IP of 192.168.0.1, and you are trying to ping the other PC w/ an IP of 192.168.100.1. The Roiuter needs to know how to get to the other Subnet. This information is contained in the Routing Table of the Router, basically. Usually, you need to update the Router when you add a new subnet.

Is this a new Router as well?

------------------
    http://www.mymcginley.com

x_789

Ok well witha 3com that is 10/100 I am guessing its a home/office connect in the uplink port there should be a little switch on the back to set uplink or not. If there isnt there is a possability that it will auto negotiate but not likley give us a model number ot make sure beucase you still may have to runa crossover but not sure without a model. Also what is up with the pinging situation is this is multiport router witha built in hub and a hub attached need to know what the full scenario is how many machines whats pluged ot what so on. Also just cause you cant ping dosent mean you dont have connectivity can you browse the network with something other than ip installed??? X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

mineman

Ok well witha 3com that is 10/100 I am guessing its a home/office connect in the uplink port there should be a little switch on the back to set uplink or not. If there isnt there is a possability that it will auto negotiate but not likley give us a model number ot make sure beucase you still may have to runa crossover but not sure without a model. Also what is up with the pinging situation is this is multiport router witha built in hub and a hub attached need to know what the full scenario is how many machines whats pluged ot what so on. Also just cause you cant ping dosent mean you dont have connectivity can you browse the network with something other than ip installed??
    -----------------------------------------
    As he said previously and get a store bought cable. pinging from machine to machine on the network should work. Another thing check to make sure everyone on that network is the same work group. If not make them all the same. Try out the good old basics. Last but not least make sure that the hub is a 10/100 and not a 100 base. I was using a 3 com hub that was not a 10/100 and never realized it until my kid asked me what the dif. was when I was setting up my network at home. Your router will issue all of the addresses. Check on your network neighbor hood and then see all machines. Check all cables.

Ricardo de Portugal

Hello people!!!
    I solved it!!!!
    It turns out that i just add to connect a straight-trought cable from the uplink of the router to the eight port on the hub, and the hub must be in normal status..., not in uplink!!!!
    Well thanks everyone !!!!

got a new question for you guys, i have a problem configuring 2 of those computers to access the peer -to -peer network, i'm using 3com fast etherlink xl 905b-txnm 110 - e (brand new), i installed it it looks ok, but i can't ping another computers in the hub(3com office connect dual speed hub). They have the same workgroup, the same style ip adress xxx.xxx.x.zzz (Z - the last ones that they have to be diferent), and diferent computer names.
    I first tried to use a good-know working 3com, but it gets just the same, i look for irq's conflicts, i made sure that the configuration on the bios was the same in my windows 98, and on the board.
    I checked the cabling, it's ok, my gess is that i have to get more recent drivers from 3 com syte, and try it out !!! anyone as another ideas???!!!

------------------
    babyface

Ping 127.0.0.1 to ensure the cards can at least do a loopback test.
    Check properties of the cards to make sure they're running at the right speed / half duplex mode. Try swapping the machines to different ports on the hub, it's unlikely but possible that some of the hub ports are not working.

Install IPX/SPX on one of your working win98 clients and on both the unconnected ones. IF you can browse shared things on the connected computers, there's something wrong with your IP address setup / TCP/IP stack.

------------------
    Have you tried reading the manual?
    What does this button do?