[RESOLVED] Patch Panel

Thread: [RESOLVED] Patch Panel

skchattha

Question Patch Panel

Can anybody tell me why to use Patch Panel & what is the logic behind Patch Panel?

------------------
    Sanjeev Kumar

Service Manager (Networking Div.)
    Tech. Deptt.
    Bhartiya ELectronics (P) Ltd.
    16/22, W.E.A., Arya Samaj Road, Karol Bagh, New Delhi, India-110 005
    E-mail: [email protected]

The devices in the field are hardwired back to the patch panel which is usually located in the equipment room. Then a patch cable makes the connection from the patch panel to the hubs/concentrators/switch. This enables you to easily reconfig your cabling if needed. Each port on the patch panel is usually labeled so you can determine its location in the field. Makes troubleshooting a lot easier as well. I am sure there are many other benefits that our fellow techs will list as well, but I am tired right now.

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

skchattha

Dear Friend, MelMac I know the connection from Patch Panel to HUB or Switch even i have practically made setup several times but i want to know actually Why is it better? What is the logic behind to do so ?

Why is it good to involve a patch Panel because physically it is just like a interface like that --||-- ?

I think you have understood my view hopefully.

------------------
    Sanjeev Kumar

Tech. Deptt.

skchattha

Question

Dear friends,

I want to give you a example related to patch panel:

When I was working on a software at a Bank in India, there was a switch & hub. Hub was uplinked to switched. Anyone connected to Hub was unable to login in Netware Server 4.11 & everybody was helpless because Hub was OK & even Switch was also OK & except all everything was totally OK.

I have heard from somewhere that Patch Panel gives better connectivity. I sugested them to use Patch Panel. A patch Panel was used there.

And a surprise ! The problem was solved & everybody was successfully login through hub.

If you see physically it seems a mere jointing through Patch Panel.

But what is such technical logic that makes connectivity better? Everybody knows that connectivity is better but why ? Very few people know.

Because experts say a very few people can explain the exact technical logic behind Patch Panel.

Please let me know if anybody know.

------------------
    Sanjeev Kumar

Tech. Deptt.

MacGyver

There is no real technology behind it, it's basically physical metal to metal contact. The patch panel has to be constructed of decent quality and should be rated for CAT5 cabling optimally. I'm not sure of the CAT5 specification with regards to number of physical contacts allowed (or even if there is one).

If it's not CAT5 rated, you will likely not be able to achieve 100 megabit speeds. We have a patch panel in our office for our ethernet network and every workstation that is capable of 100 megabit connection is currently operating at that speed!

If a proper physical connection isn't there then obviously you will have problems.

Patch panels can be expensive, but don't cheap out on them because that's where all your network traffic is passing through!

Basically there is no performance gain or loss from using a patch panel, it just makes it easier to work with from a wiring perspective.

------------------
    Tech: "You need to pack up your entire computer and bring it back in to us."
    Customer: "Why?"
    Tech: "BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO OWN A COMPUTER!"

[This message has been edited by MacGyver (edited March 15, 2001).]

Like MacGyver says it's just about ease of use.
    Patching adds flexibility to your network, you can move network devices and phones around a building with less fuss than without using them.

------------------
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

jrwilson

not to mention oragnazation...keeping all you cable clearly labeled is hard enough...imagine having to replace a bad drop or faulty cable. with a patch panel it can be as easy as moving over to the next port instead of pulling and re-running a 150' drop...convenience seems to be the key...probably not a big deal for 50ports or less, but when you start talking about hundreds and thousands of ports...

------------------
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

x_789

There is no technical or perfomance gain. It is specifically for managment of cabling could you imagin walking in a room with 500 cables all bundeled together in to hubs or switches I CANT. There is no gain at all it would actually cause a minor loss in perfomance because you are adding in more resistance to the cicuit in essance. IT is inisignificant though. I wish there was an answer that would make you happy but the reality is it is for ease of management and for making things a little neater in a cableing room. << ha ha i know that sounds funny X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

The technical reason to impliment Patch Panels is as a safe, reliable management solution. Patch panels provide a reliable documented, testable, traceable access point for cable management, that when implimented correctly allows for expansion and correct installation of the Category 5 100Mbps ethernet standard.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010