[RESOLVED] Bypassing Routers on Unknown Network

Thread: [RESOLVED] Bypassing Routers on Unknown Network

Imon Fyre

Question Bypassing Routers on Unknown Network

ok.. i was wondering if ther was any one out there that could tell me how to bypass the routers on my university network. Everyone on the network has 10/100base t cards, and the network is running 10base t.

I would like to bypass them so that i could download/upload movies quicker.

any help would appreciated.

------------------
    Access to computers should be unlimited and total.
    - hacker ethic

Imon Fyre

our network novell installed on it.. and it may be cisco's.. ill have to check...

any one know how i could check remotely for what kinda stuff is on here?

------------------
    - hacker ethic

MacGyver

I don't think there is any way to do what you're asking. Likely the only way to bypass any router is to physically disconnect it. Even then the network wouldn't work properly anymore and the router config is almost certainly protected with a password.

------------------
    All this technology, and I still can't download a pizza!

Why would you want to do what you are asking? A router moves packets from one network (campus) to another (internet) if you disconnect your router, or bypass it, you will not be able to connect to the internet at all, much less will your speed be any greater.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

CiscoGuy

What you are asking for is generally not possible.

Routers make routing decisions based on configuration and differing criteria, there is no way to influence this. As others here have said, if one link were taken down, and assuming there is no redundency built into your network there will no longer be a connection. I'm going to make the assumption that if there was a 100meg link to be used it would be used, as long as your network uses a modern distance vector routing protocal, say EIGRP, but this is probably above what was being asked here.

Are you attempting to connect to hosts on your campus network, on on the Internet?

You can use the traceroute command, or tracert in windows, to see what route the routers have chosen. Generally if security is configured properly you can not telnet to these. However, if they didn't do it right, you may be able to find out what devices they are based on their headers.

iamtheman

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cyberhh:
    Why would you want to do what you are asking? A router moves packets from one network (campus) to another (internet) if you disconnect your router, or bypass it, you will not be able to connect to the internet at all, much less will your speed be any greater.

</font>
    LOL, I agree with everyone's replies above me, but this summed it up so well that I laughed.

Remote Device & OS detection is possible but it takes a while to understand what you are doing.

------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

Imon Fyre

the only reason i wanted to know was because i wanted to be able to connect to my friends computers and be able to dl off them faster.

any ways.. thanx guys!!!!

------------------
    - hacker ethic

SuBz

You could buy a 100mbit hub or switch, and some cat5 cable.

Seriously though, you cannot bypass the router. Do a traceroute and see where you go. Perhaps there is a switch somewhere that just sends your packets to your friends computer. Ask your administrator to upgrade to 10/100 base network, I doubt they'll do it but it's worth a try.

What you are asking is if there is a way to define a static route from one workstation to the other without using default routing tables, or DNS, etc.. that may cause excessive network hops, correct?

Answer: I do not know how you would go about doing this:

How are you wanting to connect to your friend?
    What download speeds are you currently getting from your friend? (100+kbps is excellent over 10BT).
    Have you tried other methods? (FTP, HTTP, Telnet, AIM, etc...)
    Do you know the administrator of the network real well?

------------------

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Blehboy

I don't think you will see a big performance jump if you bypass the router for a direct connection. Remember, your school may have a T1/3 connection but you are sharing it with a jillion other people. The connection speed is divided by all of those users. I am almost certain that speed is not more than 10Mbps. The router is not the bottleneck in your system. I would do two things:

1. Find out who your school is using for their ISP. Most schools go with the local cable or phone company. If so you may be experiencing slow response from the ISP.

2. Run a traceroute and try to pinpoint the slowest responding nodes. I would suggest a tracerouting app with a GUI and maps like Netotrace.

------------------
    "All my life all I ever wanted to be was a gangster" -Goodfellas