[RESOLVED] Internet Connection Sharing

Thread: [RESOLVED] Internet Connection Sharing

Randolph

Post Internet Connection Sharing

I have installed ICS but it don't work... i follow step by step but nothing happends. i have proper installation, protocols etc. can u help me with this?

------------------
    - Randolph -

x_789

Ok what ips and subnet are you using on the machines. thats the first theing we need to know. Or are you using the dhcp feture of it ? need some more info man.X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

NooToo

Cool

This knowledge base article from Microsoft can be particularly helpful.

Go through it bit by bit, but before you do unistall ics and check that your network is running purely tcp/ip protocols and that file and printer sharing is installed ok. Then set up ics, then add back any other protocols you need for your network. I found this to be the quickest (well, in ms terms anyhow)way to get it going.

http://support.microsoft.com/support...SRCH&SPR=W98SE

Luck!

------------------
    Never ever say out loud or even think to yourself near a computer "I'll just do this quickly...."

Darren Wilson

Make sure the machine do not have a static IP address set to them and everything is left for windows to do itself.

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

Randolph

I have installed the proper protocols, like TCP/IP SPX/IPX i have re installed windows 2000 but still i doesn't work. i have access to LAN. i have checked the properties of network neigborhood, i have automatic... checked in.

and also i noticed that browsing LAN using windows 2000 is tooo slow, and sometimes i can't access it.

please .. don't answer WINGATE! in ICS.

------------------
    - Randolph - Win 95/98/NT/2000 error 683 : Timeout Error - Operator fell asleep waiting for system to boot into Windows -

Also, make sure you havn't confused the 2 NIC's in the system sharing the connection, that will FUBAR things as well. Dumb question: You did put 2 NIC's in the machine sharing the connection, right? Are you using a hub, or a crossover cable? Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.

[This message has been edited by Melmac (edited March 07, 2001).]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Randolph

Talking

what is that FUBAR thing?? i only have i LAN card on my PC. hmm... i am thinking if one of my cards have conflicts ....

------------------
    - Randolph - Win 95/98/NT/2000 error 683 : Timeout Error - Operator fell asleep waiting for system to boot into Windows -

Rellik

Only one LAN NIC? what are you using to connect to the internet then? an Analog Modem?, internal DSL modem?

Do you have the externel cable/DSL modem hooked to the hub/switch directy? If so, you need another NIC to hook the DSL/cable modem directly to.

make sure all the other machines are set to use DHCP.

------------------
    Fee Schedule:
    Correct Answers.............................$4.00
    Answers that require thinking:..........$2.00
    Irrelevant Answers:.........................$1.00
    Wrong Answers:.............................$ .50
    Dumb looks are still free

Randolph

Talking

i only have one NIC card installed in my PC.

------------------

1.) FUBAR = F****d Up Beyond All Recognition.
    2.) In order to use ICS, you need 2 connection devices. One to connect to the internet, and another one to pipe that internet connection out to the machines on your local network. If you are using DSL or Cable access, these would be 2 NIC's. Dial-up would require 1 NIC and 1 analog modem. (The modem to connect to the internet, and the NIC to pipe the connection out.) Get the picture?

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Please give us EXACT details on what you are doing and what your setup contains:

1. How many Machines?
    2. What OS for the clients and what for the server?
    3. What is the internet connection medium (analog modem, cable modem, dsl, adsl) and how does it work (ethernet, serial, USB, etc...)
    4. How are the machines connected? Crossover cable, hub, etc...

Notes:

Make sure that the internet connection is ONLY connected to the ICS server machine - i.e. that if it has an ethernet connection that it is hooked only to the server and not to the hub.

Make sure that you have read and foloowed the instructions in the KB articles listed further up the page

Make sure that you have a good network - check browsing and connecting in network neighborhood

Check you TCP/IP settings, make sure that all numbers are correct (if any).

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Randolph

Talking

I have setup the ICS ... i have no choice but to re-format the workstations. Thanks too all the people who help me. =)

all things are doing fine now ... execpt our server is WINDOWS 2000 Pro. Browsing LAN is too slow ..

------------------