[RESOLVED] SMTP with Win2K ICS and my ISP,

Thread: [RESOLVED] SMTP with Win2K ICS and my ISP,

archonix

Post SMTP with Win2K ICS and my ISP,

Ok...here we go...
    4 computers, 2 win2k, 2 win98. All networking between them is fine. 1 of the win2k machines has win2k ICS running to share out the cable connection. All the systems can surf the net and download email with Outlook and Outlook Express. (none of which are using hotmail.) When anyone composed a message to be sent out Outlook comes back with an error message saying (paraphrased) it doesnt want to resolve the email address. So send a message to [email protected] outlook doesn't want to send it. Now my SMTP settings are for

smtp.myisp.com

I've tried pinging it and replacing the name with the IP and the same problem. Ok. here is where I get REALLY stuck. If any machine dials up to the ISP (so it isn't using the cable connection.) THEN it can send email via the modem. But it can't when its on the win2k ICS network. So...anyone have any thoughts?

(i have TCPIP and Client/Serv for ms networks installed on all and file sharing, name resolution, pings, all work)

Check "My server requires authentication"

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

SeniorBBCTech

My suggestion is to domp ICS totally.. You will have nothing but issues with it. Get a true proxy software like WinProxy. More secure and configurable than ICS.. Granted it cost to buy it but with all the security issues Microsoft has had with it's software are you willing to take the chance?

Blehboy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cyberhh:
    Check "My server requires authentication"

</font>
    Agreed. ICS should work fine, then. It will force Outlook to prompt for your PW on the SMTP side of things.

BTW, tried Winproxy for 2 years. Found it was a pain in the a**. I wound up spending too much time reconfiguring it every time I needed to open a specific port. I now run ICS with BlackICE for protection.

------------------
    "All my life all I ever wanted to be was a gangster" -Goodfellas

b4uc1i81

Some ISP won't let you use their SMTP servers unless your logged into the ISP service, like a Dial-up connection. If you get the Net thru your cable connection, and don't need to authenticate with your ISP, your ISP won't let you use their SMTP server.

------------------
    "Any" key? What "Any Key?"

use NAT, it is more flexable.

also - make sure the authentication is working (telnet isp_ip-addr 25)
    if you can connect, from the client machines, then you should be able to get authenticated.
    also - outlook might not be the choice email client is you are using a third party host, outlookexpress is better that aspect.

sorry to burst everybody's bubble, but your all wrong. just recieve first then you will be able to send.

now why you ask?

well pop authenticates using your username password.

smtp however authenticates using your ip address(wierd huh) now because using your workstations are probably assigned private ip's 192.168.0.1 or something like that. Your isp won't send mail until it knows who you are. again the answer is to recieve first.
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA

eightball had it almost right
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA