[RESOLVED] Computer can ping but can not resolve internet addresses

Thread: [RESOLVED] Computer can ping but can not resolve internet addresses

Edgecko

Question Computer can ping but can not resolve internet addresses

I've got one computer on the backbone that will not resolve external HTTP addresses but will successfully ping external IP addresses. I'm using the same DNS as the other PCs on the network but no joy. Any ideas?

Question

Sound Obvious but did you correctly configure the DN tab (or DNS Suffix order)...

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

x_789

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabriel:
    Sound Obvious but did you correctly configure the DN tab (or DNS Suffix order)...

</font>
    have to agree this is a dns problem can you ping your dns servers. Even if you are sure you have it correctly typed in then try pinging them X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

MacGyver

X, I think most DNS servers will not respond to pings so pinging them won't give you an accurate indication that they are working. That's what somebody told me, I may be wrong.

Anyways, Try pinging both server names and ip addresses from DOS of sites you know that work. Try accessing websites in your web browser using the www.com name and the IP address.

If you can ping successfully but nothing works in the web browser, then consult this thread where I had that exact problem. I couldn't figure out what the problem was, I had to reinstall.

------------------
    Tech: "You need to pack up your entire computer and bring it back in to us."
    Customer: "Why?"
    Tech: "BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO OWN A COMPUTER!"

x_789

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MacGyver:
    X, I think most DNS servers will not respond to pings so pinging them won't give you an accurate indication that they are working. That's what somebody told me, I may be wrong.

</font>
    Well we are both right and wrong I tryed 4 diffrent dns servers lists some internal some external and its 6 OUT OF 8 would reply so I guess there are some that do have and option to block like a FW I suppose I also tryed a tracert and it was 6 of 8 also I am sure there are more dns I just looked at my internal two of my isps I use then earthlink which was the one blocking. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

SeniorTech

Not to sound stupid or anything but did you scan for viruses on the system? It sounds like you have a corupted or infected wsock32.dll Most viruses that infect the dll will not allow dns resolve (ie Happy99)

Red face

You didn't mention if this computer was new, or what happened up to the problem...l've seen this several times on DHCP networks, and release/renewing the IP after resetting the routers always fixed it. ln other words, its obviously your DNS

One other "smack the forehead" option...did you check the proxy settings in the browser? maybe it can't resolve 'http names' because it is looking for a proxy server that doesn't exist?

------------------
    BreakWindows
    All your stupid catch phrase are belong to us.
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

I have the same problem with the proxy settings set on the browser by a user trying to fix it himself. Also check and make sure that the DNS search order is correct.

Can you ping the server hostname, not just IP address, if you can this will show that you are resolving from the DNS server. Also check another machine and make sure that it is resolving the same address from the hostname (recently had that problem).

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010