NT Server 4.0

Thread: NT Server 4.0

Question NT Server 4.0

Okay, need to know if I am going to have heartache if I do this. A client's PDC crashed. (No BDC, which is just my luck.) So I had to rebuild their domain, only about 20 clients, so it wasn't that big a deal. I loaned them an extra box to serve as PDC while I built them a new server. I put the new server online as a BDC a week ago, and let it run to insure that it wouldn't have any problems. I am now ready to promote it and pull my box offline. What I want to do is rename it to the name (Server, original huh?) that all of the scripts point to. If I do this after pulling the other offline, will I have some huge unforseen problem that I am not aware of? Or would I be better to just go and edit all of the scripts? (There are a lot of them, plus a trust with another domain.) Any insight would be apreciated you guys/girls. Thanks. Sorry such a long post.

Melmac

P.S.- What's your take Gabriel?

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.

[This message has been edited by Melmac (edited March 16, 2001).]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Wow, not the first response. Hope that's nothing personal. Nevermind, just gonna wing it. Which is how I learned everything I know in the first place, so, in a sense, I won't be on unfamiliar ground.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Melmac:
    Okay, need to know if I am going to have heartache if I do this. A client's PDC crashed. (No BDC, which is just my luck.) So I had to rebuild their domain, only about 20 clients, so it wasn't that big a deal. I loaned them an extra box to serve as PDC while I built them a new server. I put the new server online as a BDC a week ago, and let it run to insure that it wouldn't have any problems. I am now ready to promote it and pull my box offline. What I want to do is rename it to the name (Server, original huh?) that all of the scripts point to. If I do this after pulling the other offline, will I have some huge unforseen problem that I am not aware of? Or would I be better to just go and edit all of the scripts? (There are a lot of them, plus a trust with another domain.) Any insight would be apreciated you guys/girls. Thanks. Sorry such a long post.

Melmac

P.S.- What's your take Gabriel?

</font>
    1. you can't just "rename" the machine... there is a SID (unique identifier for every MS based computers). Just changing the name of the machine will not give you anything. In fact it will ruin... Update Scripts, no other way!

2. "P.S.- What's your take Gabriel? " What do you mean???

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

I know the SID applies to user accounts, and Domain names, didn't think it applied to machine names.

What's your take? What I meant basically was "What do you think?"

------------------

condor

Lightbulb

To change a mahine Name and SID use
    NewSid.exe

for http://www.sysinternals.com

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

Thumbs up

Thanks guys. I ended up rewiting the scripts. Hey, Condor, thanks for the web site, had not been there before, very useful.

------------------