[RESOLVED] network drives

Thread: [RESOLVED] network drives

RIOT

Post network drives

My company recently bought a win2000 server. I've created all the user accounts and am getting ready to start doing home directories. I've set up my home directory to be z: \\server\share on the profile tab of the user properties. When I go to my computer that I regularly use (it's a win98se computer), no drive is mapped when I logon. But when I logged on to a winNT workstation, the drive was mapped. Why does that happen? How do I get the drive to map no matter what machine I logon to? I've tried logon scripts; I wrote a batch file with net use z: \\server\share and pointed the server to it in the netlogon share. Nothing happens when I logon though. Could someone please help me?

------------------
    "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', son"

QSECOFR

Have you set the logon script in the user profile(s) that you want the script to run for? Have you put the script in c:\winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts ?

------------------
    OS/400...At least it's not Microsoft.

RIOT

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by QSECOFR:
    Have you set the logon script in the user profile(s) that you want the script to run for? Have you put the script in c:\winnt\system32\repl\import\scripts ?

</font>
    I put the logon script for my logon account in the profile tab of user properties:
    \\server\netlogon.

This might be a problem. Our server doesn't have the "repl" folder. The Netlogon share is mapped to c:winnt\sysvol\sysvol\scripts. The server is the domain controller for the domain we are using.

------------------

QSECOFR

the login script should be the name of the script. about the repl folder, I'll have to check my win2k server when I get home.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RIOT:
    I put the logon script for my logon account in the profile tab of user properties:
    \\server\netlogon.

This might be a problem. Our server doesn't have the "repl" folder. The Netlogon share is mapped to c:winnt\sysvol\sysvol\scripts. The server is the domain controller for the domain we are using.

</font>

------------------
    OS/400...At least it's not Microsoft.

RIOT

I messed up in answering your question. I put:

\\server\netlogon\script.bat

------------------

Riot, I think I had the same problem. Don't put the full path to the script, just put the script name. When you define it in the user's profile, it automatically looks in the "Scripts" folder. I was trying to do the same thing you are doing, when I just put the script name (whatever.bat) it worked. Try that.

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

RIOT

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Melmac:
    Riot, I think I had the same problem. Don't put the full path to the script, just put the script name. When you define it in the user's profile, it automatically looks in the "Scripts" folder. I was trying to do the same thing you are doing, when I just put the script name (whatever.bat) it worked. Try that.

</font>
    I'll give it a whirl....

****ing A, it worked!!! I knew I was missing something small like that... Thanks to everyone for helping!!!
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by RIOT (edited March 15, 2001).]

iateyourcat

can you map a drive from the win9x machines manually?

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

Linux MacWin

Cool

Iateyourcat...

That's simple, if you try to map a workstation drive,you have to make sure that the computer you wat to share has file sharing on (from network properties) and right click on the drive you want to share, chose sharing and give it a name you'll recognize over the network.Make sure you give the right access
    (full, read only or password access)

Then on the computer you want to map that drive, enter the network neighbourhood, double click on the computer name, you'll see the disk,right click on it, map, give it a letter and choose reconnect at logon.

------------------
    "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you will see every problem as a nail" A.Maslow

jrwilson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Linux MacWin:
    Iateyourcat...

That's simple, if you try to map a workstation drive,you have to make sure that the computer you wat to share has file sharing on (from network properties) and right click on the drive you want to share, chose sharing and give it a name you'll recognize over the network.Make sure you give the right access
    (full, read only or password access)

Then on the computer you want to map that drive, enter the network neighbourhood, double click on the computer name, you'll see the disk,right click on it, map, give it a letter and choose reconnect at logon.
    </font>
    lol...i am sure Iateyourcat is aware of how map a drive the question he asked is can RIOT do it manually...i would tend to agree with melmac...there is no need to enter the full path...just the script name

------------------
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

[This message has been edited by jrwilson (edited March 21, 2001).]