[RESOLVED] How do I.......

Thread: [RESOLVED] How do I.......

Ghostfleet

Question How do I.......

How do I (step-by-step) set up my own isp? What hardware/software combos will I need? Do I need a T1 line, or something better? How many phone lines do I need? How do I connect them to the internet? I want to make a dial-up 56k v.90 compliant isp...please help.

BTW - I believe that this site runs off of a home pc. How fast is it? What kind of connection is it running on?

Thanks!

the site use to run off of a "home pc" with 4 t1 lines. It is now owned by internet.com who runs it on a set of servers who knows where. Your question is very broad and well, what we get paid to do, consulting. If we give you the answer will you cut us in on the profits

First thing you need: A lot of money, whatever you are thinking is a lot is probably off so just double what you're thinking ; plus you also need to be in an area where there is a demand for dialup, meaning no broadband access and little ISP competition.

Yes, it is best that you get a t1 line or better, dedicated bandwidth is a must and redundency with another bandwidth provider is a plus. And you need a channelized t1 line for the customers to dial up to you through

they connect to you through a dialup rack(a big modem with 24 or more ports to dial into. They get out to the internet from the dialup rack to a cat5 switch to the router to the t1 line or better.

to make your isp v.90 compliant just purchase a dialup rack that is v.90 compliant, it is that simple, not really even a concern since most are going to be v.90 compliant.

Most importantly you need a staff that already knows how to do this. Building an ISP can be a great learning experience but not as much fun for your customers when something goes wrong and you need to learn how to fix it instead of already knowing how to fix it. I have been apart of a "learn as you go" ISP and it wasn't as profitable and fun as we hoped. We broke even with the t1 bill for the first year, luckily we were a full computer shop so we did not depend on the ISP for income, just for the t1 line so we could play games

Hardware/software? Well, do you want to run Unix or Windows as your server OS? That decides the hardware. Other than that some routers, CSU/DSU's, hubs, and switches will get you the rest of the way.

Oh, and don't forget about security, you just opened a huge door on your house for hackers to walk in and have tea and crumpets and whatever else they want, you're gonna want to have someone on staff that knows about security.

Have fun
    Tony

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Red face

l apologize in advance if this comes off soudning arrogant or obnoxious, but there's no truly polite way to answer your question....basically:

lf you need a step-by-step guide on how to set one up, you really shouldn't be doing it. At least, not yet, until you can answer the questions you've posed here on your own.

l wish you luck in your endeavors...a good start is to read up on networking concepts and T-1/3 connection.

------------------
    BreakWindows
    All your stupid catch phrase are belong to us.
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..