[RESOLVED] Setting up new network. Need help

Thread: [RESOLVED] Setting up new network. Need help

JakeVSnake

Talking Setting up new network. Need help

I am setting up a new network for my house and I need help deciding if I need a DSL/Router with hub or not. My setup will consist of 1 server running Windows 2000 server, and 2 workstations running windows 2000 pro. I need to know if there is a need for the DSL/Router or can I just use a 5 port hub with ICS? I want to share the one DSL connection I have with the other stations on the network.
    Another question would be what DSL/Router should I buy if I need one? I have heard people talk about the Linksys (DSL/Router 4 port switch) and the Netgear RT314. What is the difference between the two? My DSL uses PPPoE by the way and I use PACBELL. I know some users on here HATE the Linksys but I have seen those who love it. Any and ALL help would be appreciated. Thanks

Jake

MacGyver

You are right. You can do it either way.

As long as you have two NIC's in the server, one private (connected to the hub) and one public (connected to the DSL modem) you should be able to share the net connection that way, and have a local network at the same time.

The other way is to get a DSL router, which lets you dispense of the PPPoE access software entirely, AND gives you a nice hardware firewall. This reduces the software load on the workstations. Also the server does not need to be on for the other workstations to access the net.

If you get the router, then you can dispense with the hub entirely. Which is good because any of the DSL routers on the market are actually switches, not hubs, so things are a lot faster.

------------------
    Tech: "You need to pack up your entire computer and bring it back in to us."
    Customer: "Why?"
    Tech: "BECAUSE YOU'RE TOO STUPID TO OWN A COMPUTER!"

[This message has been edited by MacGyver (edited March 16, 2001).]

JakeVSnake

Talking

Thanks Mac, now the only question I need to have answered is which of the two routers I mentioned (the LinkSys and Netgear RT314) should I buy? Which one holds an advantage over the other, which is more reliable, etc. I can buy the Netgear right now for $99 after rebate. So the price is right for the Netgear. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

Jake

Personally I use the D-Link - easy to setup, support for virtual servers, web administration, etc..
    Also it includes a four port switch for $99.00 - if you can get the linksys for the same - two of the other guys here use them and love them.
    ------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

[This message has been edited by cyberhh (edited March 16, 2001).]
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Blehboy

Jake-

I run an internal DSL with ICS on my Win98se proxy server. I am a fan of Netgear switches. They come in punchdown configuration (for wall mounting) and don't overheat (a plus for gamers like me).

You are on the right track, though. Just avoid 3Com home networking hubs at all costs (I have melted several of them).

------------------
    "All my life all I ever wanted to be was a gangster" -Goodfellas

JakeVSnake

Thanks for the suggestions. I bought a Linksys BEFSR41 DSL Router/Switch today at Compusa for $99 after rebate. It was VERY easy to setup and I am very pleased with it so far. I am going to play with some of the features it has over the next couple of days.

Jake

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JakeVSnake:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I bought a Linksys BEFSR41 DSL Router/Switch today at Compusa for $99 after rebate. It was VERY easy to setup and I am very pleased with it so far. I am going to play with some of the features it has over the next couple of days.

Jake
    </font>
    I have the linksys too and have had good luck with it so far except for one thing. I run an FTP site off my 2kAS server and have it setup as the DMZ host to do another things instead of doing Port Forwarding. I run the site using IIS with the help od DNS2Go so I can have a URL assigned to the site even though the IP is dynamically assigned. When inside my network I try going to the FTP site using the URL the Linksys "locks up" and the only way to fix this is unplugging and replugging it in. Now if I go to the FTP site using the internal IP address it works fine. ONly thing I have run into and that is with the newest flash too(it happened before i flashed it).

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)