[RESOLVED] CAT 6 -what 's the deal? -time to replace the CAT 5?

Thread: [RESOLVED] CAT 6 -what 's the deal? -time to replace the CAT 5?

computertechgirl

Unhappy CAT 6 -what 's the deal? -time to replace the CAT 5?

I work in a school district with limited funds and endless stupidity.

My boss said yesterday that they are re-wiring one of our buildings with CAT 6.

I know CAT 6 is high-speed copper, but what are the specs on it and does it look like it will be the next standard or is it too soon to tell? Is it a bit of a risk? Could the money be better spend on giving this lowly hardware tech a raise?

Thanks for the info!
    -Erica

I believe Cat6 is for gigabit ethernet which may be a little much depending on your networking situation. This page gives a brief on the differences: http://www.connectworld.net/global/catext.html

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

supatech

Gbps Ethernet for workstations is a way off. Sounds like your school district does have endless stupidity. It makes sense for a backbone or between switched but not to rewire the whole building

Whats the cost to pull cat6 now or do cat5 now and cat6 5 years from now?

------------------
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking!

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

supatech

Cat 6 is much more $ if you have long cable runs .Plus it isn't just the cable that has to upgraded to be cat6 compliant. all patch panels and every thing else end to end has to be cat6 certified. not worth the dough now if you aren't going 1000Mbps

------------------
    A+ Net+ MCP

Murphy's law of computing

When you reach the point at which you really understand your computer, the chances are it’s obsolete.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by supatech:
    Cat 6 is much more $ if you have long cable runs .Plus it isn't just the cable that has to upgraded to be cat6 compliant. all patch panels and every thing else end to end has to be cat6 certified. not worth the dough now if you aren't going 1000Mbps

</font>
    ahh ok I get it!

------------------
    Microsoft is to software what McDonalds is to gourmet cooking!

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

x_789

CAT6 is a waste of time and money they have already been wokring on cat7 and it will probably obsolete 6 before it ever takes off. I would highly recomend not making any cat6 upgrade and wait for 7 if you are tring to get from cat 3 an upgraded it I would just do 5e because there is no reason to blow the doe on cat6 Beacause like i said all the buzz is that cat6 is going to be useless when cat7 shows up in the near future. X
    ps cat 7 is gonna suck each pair will be twisted and screened YUCK

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

MacGyver

CAT6? In a school? LMAO that is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. With the piece of junk computers that most schools have they're lucky to get 10 megabit connections, let alone 100! There is no way that bandwidth can be utilized by a single workstation running what, word processing? What a waste of money. Get a real world quote for the job and watch the principal's hair stand on end (if he's got any left that is)

------------------
    "We're always behind industry standards" - Microsoft product manager Ed Suwanjindar

Don't ya just love when people who have no idea what they are doing are given the power to make decisions like this, no wonder our taxes are so high

------------------
    These are the facts and they are undisputed
    Where's that smoke coming from ?