[RESOLVED] Multiple PCs, one monitor. What's a good setup?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Multiple PCs, one monitor. What's a good setup?

jmsbond

Question Multiple PCs, one monitor. What's a good setup?

I just got asked if we could do a setup that I've never tried before: multiple computers connected to only one monitor. Apparently, the person who wants to do that wants to have a sort of "hub", like the ones they use to switch between VCR/Cable signals for TV input. Is there such a device? If there is, what's a good brand? Is it bad for monitors to do be switching between multiple PCs? So mahy questions...I would appreciate any help from you guys (and gals!).

KVM Switches (Keyboard, Video, Mouse). They allows one keyboard, monitor & mouse to be connected to multiple PCs and are switched either manually (A/B switch) or through an onscreen menu. Look into Belkin KVMs, they tend to be the best, although they are a little pricey.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

KVM's are very good, you can also get the Administrator model which allows you to switch from PC to PC through a browser. they are a bit pricey though. I have been using a Linksys Proconnect here for over a year. It connects the PDC and BDC to one set of peripherals. We have a small but nicely set up climate controlled server room and really between the server and the NEC phone stuff there's not much room for 2 monitors and keyboards...etc.
    It's been working great without any problems and it only runs $139 at compusa, then you have to get the cabling kits also, one per machine.

The monitor will be fine with the switching as long as your not switching it over every five minutes for extended periods.
    When cometh the day we lowly ones
    Through quiet reflection and great dedication
    Master the art of karate
    Lo, we shall rise up
    And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water

3fingersalute

Belkin makes nice switches!

Also, NetOp is a nice remote administration program that gives you full control of a networked pc, full-screen, as if you were sitting at it.....I have 2 pc's in my repair shop that I replaced the switchbox with NetOp for switching back and forth!

Be prepared to lose a little in terms of video quality, especially at higher resolutions. I had a Belkin KVM connecting my server and main computer to my monitor at 1280x1024 and I had a bad ghosting effect. I have also seen an increase in blurriness. Just an FYI.
    end of line.

Smile

Hi There,

Yep the posts above seem to have said it all.

KVM switch are great and they range in price and also the number of monitor/keyboards and mice that they can use.

This is a great solution and looks really professional with a set of stacked servers.
    Damon Campbell (MCSE)
    New Zealand

I have been impressed with VNC. It is a remote administration tool that gives you full control of the PC's keyboard/mouse. Uses some compression techniques to make the video faster. It runs pretty good on my P133 machine, 1/2 sec delay between clicks...

It's freeware too. Pick it up here