[RESOLVED] Hardcode IP on servers?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Hardcode IP on servers?

ecartman

Resolved [RESOLVED] Hardcode IP on servers?

I was always told you should hardcode your IP on a server, even if it's on a dhcp network. I'm looking for opinions on pros and cons of doing this.

x_789

personally I agree with this that way you always have some constants on your ip network so that you can ping and do diags with when you are having network issues plus you dont ever have issues with the server having to renew and release address. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

Macgyver_111

Also a good reason for having fixed ip's is security is easyer.
    you can validate by ips and ban all but certain ips form certain accesses.

My proxy server runs by that, unlass youve got the right ip no entry.

and other program can use ip validating as well.
    Much better protection that passwords.

But you should still have passwords too.

[This message has been edited by Macgyver_111 (edited March 20, 2001).]

CiscoGuy

It is probably also a good idea to statically assign IP's to the printers as well. This will make things a lot easier.

Yeah, honestly this shouldn't be a debate or discussion or anything. I don't want to come off the wrong way, but static IP for servers is just the way it is, like the other posters said, easier for troubleshooting and security. I'm trying to think of a reason that you would want a plain member server to be dynamically assigned and I still can't find a valid reason.

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Any server that you will need access to should be statically defined - it becomes less dependant on other machines (DHCP for instance) also it gives you another level of troubleshooting (ping, tracert, etc.) and makes network documentation more complete if you set DHCP only on workstations that will be rebooted often - keep in mind that the original function of DHCP was to assign IP addresses to a frequently changing set of TCP/IP hosts (or machines) such as for an ISP and to make large installations of machines easier - you did not need huge lists of assigned IP's and keep them updated - now DHCP could manage all of it for you.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

lets set the proxy server on a dhcp address hehe - right...

if you are too lazy to change the ip on the server (and it is dhcp currently) you can setup a reservatation
    this way you can have it in the same subnet as your client machines (if using a small subnet)