[RESOLVED] HELP

Thread: [RESOLVED] HELP

darkadvenger

Talking HELP

recently, i came across a network which is configured to access the Internet thru' a single dial-up account.

when i surf a web site, eg. www.microsoft.com, everything was fine. however, if i try to ping the IP adress, I am unable to do so.

can anyone advise?

SeniorTech

What IP's are you trying to ping?
    What is the responce your getting from the pings?

darkadvenger

the IP address for www.microsoft.com and i got "Request Timed Out".

2 things:

1) You can't ping microsoft.com. They block pings. Try pinging another site like altavista.com

2) Is the computer thats dialed into the internet set up to be a proxy server or a gateway? If it is a gateway then you should be able to ping from the command line. If it is a proxy you won't be able to. Proxy servers are usually just intended for web browsing (usually).

------------------
    "You dumb bastard...it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat!"

Deity

Korpse is right. Many of the larger sites, like microsoft, block pings for security reasons. I would try pinging other, smaller sites.

------------------
    When the going gets tough, the tough give up.

yahoo.com works good. was there a problem other than the fact you couldn'y ping? try pinging the gateway first if you are having problems with connectivity
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA

or run a tracert to microsoft...you wont see the last hop but if you got that far then chances are that your in good shape
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

Exclamation

You said you can surf the website... so where is the problem of connectivity? Surfing means using TCP on port 80 for the IP of the website... pinging means using ICMP... nobody needs this else administrators and curious users - so admins often blocks it.

security by obscurity!

Wink

Agree with Higg. Most firewalls prevent you from pinging, tracert etc..etc..

There are third party applications available which allow this access through firewalls .. eg. sockscap32.

It's a security thingy ..

Martin
    <a href="mailto:[email protected]" target="_blank">[email protected]</a>