internet sharing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: internet sharing

With the price of switches today there is no reason to buy a hub. Hubs are outdated and should not be used in ANY environment.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

If you have a hub laying around and want to network computers for the purpose of internet/printer sharing you should use an old hub instead of buying a switch.

Wow, alot to cover! 1) ICS bites and has a ton of security holes. 2) Routers are nice with hardware firewalls...BUT watch out for the browser access to configuration...another hole if not set up right. 3) Tried Netgear router, puked in 1 week, hubs last only marginally longer. 4) When ATT rolled out cable access in my area, their modem of choice was a Bay, go figure. 5) Hubs are better than nothing, but switches are better, but at a $$$$ (don't tell me they have gotten cheaper, I can still pick up a 3Com 24port 100M hub for $25-30, can't get a switch that cheap). 5) Our method of choice is a SMC router in front of WinProxy (avoid Sygate, too many holes, AnalogX is decent for FREE, but kind limiting, but hell, the price is right) with a software firewall running also. 6) How come I'm the only one thinking SECURITY??? To hell with bandwidth if someone can slip in and use it all up?????
    Dopey Is My Hero, the king of idiots, the mentors of morons.