[RESOLVED] Wireless Suggestions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Wireless Suggestions

3fingersalute

Question Wireless Suggestions

Ok, here's the deal:

I got a customer running a used car lot, and they have 3 buildings, and want all 3 networked. The first 2 are in the same lot, so it was no problem, we just connected the 2 hubs with a piece of coax strung over the lot.

The third however, is a little trailer for the SUV sales, and is located across the street from the other two buildings. We need to get 1 PC in this trailer networked, and we cannot string coax because it crosses a public roadway and that involves major $$$ in permits and other problems.

I have tried the D-Link DWL-500 NIC with the DWL-1000AP, but cannot connect, the distance is just too far for them.

Anybody have any suggestions on a more powerful solution without getting into major $$$$ ?

The total distance between the trailer and the main building is about 150ft., so it is not really all that far.

------------------
    Is it because light travels faster than sound that some people appear bright until they speak????

Lowland

You could look at VPN as a solution, or dial-up networking straight to the remote box (can be a little slow, but should work) - assuming you can access the telecoms from the remote box and one on the other site.

Other major bucks solutions could be microwave, wireless (less costly, but don't know if it'll handle the distance or any obstacles??

Good luck

------------------
    Any clanvestites? Or looking for Scotland sites?
    Come visit www.lowlandgroup.co.uk and see what we do - jump to our community site from us

What you need to do is find one that allows for a larger or external antenna (have not seen on yet) in wireless technology your effective range is dependant on your power output (in Watts) and your HAAT (Height Above Average Terrain) if you cannot change one to get more power - change the other.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

x_789

Well it all depends what you consider $$$$$ check out this page on cisco http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...m#xtocid295118
    look for AIR-ANT3338 this is a n outdoor dsh they have many wireless options for outdoor aplications so you can run an extrenal antenna or dish point of a 50ft cable run from your acess point. X
    Also are you sure that this thing works at all 150 sure isnt much makes me wonder if its working at all. I would test in the same room as access point and make sure it works. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

3fingersalute

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by x_789:

150 sure isnt much makes me wonder if its working at all
    </font>

My thoughts exactly...but, it works in the same building...I even ventured so far as to install the NIC in my laptop and take it onsite.....I can walk across the street and still have a connection, but the minute I attempt to enter the other building...the siganl is toast!!

------------------
    Is it because light travels faster than sound that some people appear bright until they speak????

pcrescue

You said it's located in a trailer. I have a customer that is in a mobile home and my cell phone won't work when I'm inside, I have to go outside to take/make calls. It's evidently due to the metal walls and ceilings. Just a thought.

x_789 has got it right Cisco's Aironet has all kinds of optional antenna's you can use. So you should be able to get an access point in (or maybe sticking somewhat out of) the trailer pointing to the other side.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

I think we're on to something with the trailer having something to do with blocking the signal. I'd try moving the computer near a window or door, for experimental purposes. Maybe there is yet a way to get the wireless setup there. Maybe even moving the access point to the trailer and positioning it where it works best might be an option.

Cool

Originally posted by pcrescue:
    You said it's located in a trailer. I have a customer that is in a mobile home and my cell phone won't work when I'm inside, I have to go outside to take/make calls. It's evidently due to the metal walls and ceilings. Just a thought.
    Yes, that will certainly block most of the signal... a car/trailer is like a faraday-cage - if the mesh is smaller than the radio-wavelength nothing can go through... so a window with a great opening will be the best place to position a receiver (or you try it first in the outside-area if it functions well - then think of any near place to put the receiver)

Higg

PS: Also try to better position your source

There are also older, slower laser, microwave and unidirectional antennas to do just that, however they are a bit pricey - as I would imagine is the Cisco.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

3fingersalute

The computer is right beside the window, which is line-of-site with the builing that has the access point, so I'm guessing the trailer is shielding the signal!

Originally posted by 3fingersalute:
    The computer is right beside the window, which is line-of-site with the builing that has the access point, so I'm guessing the trailer is shielding the signal!
    I think you've tried it... but even though let me ask:
    Have you posed the antenna right onto the window board so that you get the biggest opening-angle (for the waves) through the window? Line of sight is not always the question (and solution)...

Higg

3fingersalute

The NIC doesn't have an Antenna, and the WAP antenna is like onoly 2"!

Wink

Originally posted by 3fingersalute:
    The NIC doesn't have an Antenna, and the WAP antenna is like onoly 2"!
    (q: what do you mean with 'onoly 2'?)

If the NIC is designed for wireless Network then it MUST have an antenna to receive waves - even if it's build-in... (as it doesn't work by miracles )
    So place the computer right ontop of the desk in front of the window...

Higg

3fingersalute

Right you are........the antenna is built in of course (I do not believe in miracles!)....by no antenna, I mean no extrenal antenna........and yes, the Antenna on the access point is 2" (inches), not 2' (feet), like you suggested.....and the pc IS on the desk, straight line-of-sight with the access point!!

Anybody have any other ideas???????