[RESOLVED] WINIPCFG info missing

Thread: [RESOLVED] WINIPCFG info missing

SteveHebe

Resolved [RESOLVED] WINIPCFG info missing

Here is the problem as best that I can explain it. (Sorry, network stuff is not a strong suit of mine.)

My machine runs W98 and is connected to a NT network using a 3com 3C905-TX Enet card. My network connections appear to be working fine. (Sharing drives, printers etc.)

In my Network/TCP/IP settings, I have my IP set to 10.1.1.6 /255.255.255.0, Disable DNS, Disable WINS, No Gateway.

My question/problem is, when i run "WINIPCFG" the only response I get is for my PPP adapter. IP address & Sub Net) is 0.0.0.0 it shows DHCP server as 255.255.255.255. Node type is"BROADCAST" everything else is blank.

I am now trying to use Sygate connection sharing software, and it is also telling me that it cannot find my NIC.

Can anyone give me any insight as to why my NIC and TCP/IP settings are not visible to WINIPCFG and Sygate?

You should be able to choose from a drop down menu which network adapter you will be viewing in winipcfg. If it isn't in there then try to uninstall the nic then reinstall it and make sure you have the current drivers.
    To each his/her own.

CJK might be on the right track here. Go to a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.

What does that give you?
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

I agree with Melmac...ipconfig /all from a command prompt would probably easier and will give you the information you are looking for.
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

IPCONFIG is a stronger utility but the 3rd party software is also having trouble with finding the NIC. It looks like the driver for the NIC might be somewhat corrupt but not enough to stop working completely or there is some hardware failure...I guessing the driver is the problem.
    To each his/her own.

Originally posted by CJK:
    IPCONFIG is a stronger utility but the 3rd party software is also having trouble with finding the NIC. It looks like the driver for the NIC might be somewhat corrupt but not enough to stop working completely or there is some hardware failure...I guessing the driver is the problem.
    Yep, could be fine for the old remove and reinstall process. Might clear up the whole problem.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

IPConfig is not avail in Win95. As far as I know winipcfg is 9x and ipconfig is nt, could be worng though.

You may need to run ws2bkup.abt to restore the winsock 2.0 files to the correct version.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

IPCONFIG is available in win 9x...just not as user friendly.
    To each his/her own.

If its 95 do the winsock 2 backup and r&r card and there is no ipcfg in 95 just 98. Still it sounds like a corupt winsock file in 95 where you cant see your nic in the utils. As always more info please. x
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

Running Win98 and up, ipconfig is available. Soundds like ip is corrupt. Remove all network components except the nic, reboot, and add all that are needed again. After a reboot should be fine. Failing all that, You might have to slice the registry in safemode and remove anything network wise there.
    Don't even ask why they call me stressball....

Thanks - IPCONFIG is not avail in 95? I cannot seem to find it on any 95 machine here (we do not use 98, nor do I - and ME is the greatest game ever created - install it once play with it for years, without ever getting anything done.)

I would run the ws2backup.bat file and restore your winsock 2 files. (You may need to run it twice, once in windows and once from DOS mode.)
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

SteveHebe

Talking

Thank You all for playing!

Good news is all of your advice was correct and removing & reinstalling (3 Times) finally worked.

Bad news is that I really hate pulling cards and reinstalling them...seems like such a waste of time.

Again, thank you all for efforts to assist me!