[RESOLVED] Wireless Suggestions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [RESOLVED] Wireless Suggestions

What is the effective distance access point to access point? You may have better luck with a woreless hub in each trailer and allowing the hubs to communicate with each other.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Is it possible to buy a longer antena and just be creative in the wiring department? :P then put it outside mounted to the trailer.

How about this. Remove the side of the trailer. No more interferance!

Barring that try the D-link DWL-120 USB Wireless Adapter and hang it out the dang window to see if it gets reception. Just a thought. Probably will not work but worth a shot.

gsearle

Thumbs up

The antenna on the NIC is the little plastic tab that sticks out of the computer. These work in the GHz range, so the wavelength is fairly small. ANY walls will weaken the signal. The best way to get the greatest distance is to remove all possible barriers, line-of-sight, between the access point's antenna and the NIC's antenna. Even then, 150 ft is pushing it.

Since the D-Link is based on the 802.11 standard, any standard 802.11 networking hardware will work. You can get a NIC that allows an external antenna, then get a directional antenna for 2.4 GHz and point it out the window at the access point's location in the other building. Most wireless NIC's come with some sort of tool that let you measure the signal-strength in real time.

This should work, because it has been done before. Some people have set up unamplified directional antennas to gain wireless access many kilometers away with standard 802.11 equipment, but they were limited to line-of sight locations along the antenna's pointing direction.

Lightbulb

Not sure if I can be of much help, but is there anyway to extend the antenna, there by moving it outside? Just something I would try myself. Be sure good shielding from shock and place it low to avoid lightning strike.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. (Walden, Thoreau)

I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1237183111

I realize that it is on ebay, however it does give you some infomation and has a large external unidirectional antenna - should be more than suficient (assuming that you can get two of them) for your application.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010