Ghost to a large number of clients.

Thread: Ghost to a large number of clients.

Post Ghost to a large number of clients.

If I had a setup of 31 workstations networked to a server which was pushing a ghost image to them, could I multicast / broadcast the image to reduce the time required for transmission. Assuming I'm using a switch and the network doesn't suffer from any transmission errors (haha).

I'm not too familiar with norton ghost, so any views would be welcome.

------------------
    Have you tried reading the manual?
    What does this button do?

Cordon,

I think what you are looking for is Imagecast. It allows you to boot the workstations to floppy, remove it, then go back to the server and drag and drop the images. I am a big time Ghost user, but the only methods I know of is direct cable, from cd rom, or peer to peer. I do not think you can broadcast the image to multiple stations because Ghost establishes a master/slave relationship between the 2 machines you are using. The link to Imagecast is below. The quote on the page is from a close friend of mine, Jim Richards, and he swears by the product. Hope this helps.

<a href=http://www.it-infusion.com/product_home/imagecast/homeimagecast.htm>Imagecast</a>

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

DesertEagle

I use Ghost 6.1 Enterprise all the time and it lets you multicast easily. It will let you create a boot disk for each of your NICS and is really easy to setup. After installing it on a spare PC (server), put the image you want to download on that PC, creae your boot disks or install on a partition as per the directions then initiate a multicast session on the server then boot the systems with the boot disk and when you will see all the IP addresses requesting a session, just initiate the session and they will all be imaged at the same time. I put a few things in so that after reimaging, the system will reboot and start the minisetup wizard (Windows 2000)

------------------
    "COMPAQ - They Put the Sorry in PreSARIo"

Thumbs up

Wow, didn't even know there was an enterprise version. Should have known better I guess. Thanks Desert Eagle.

------------------
    Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% how you react to it.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Smile

Thank you both for your responses.
    All advice is gratefully received.

DesertEagle, love the jedi smileys.. :-)

------------------
    Have you tried reading the manual?
    What does this button do?