LAN,Hub,Cablemodem,1IP,2 machines...Amazing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LAN,Hub,Cablemodem,1IP,2 machines...Amazing

Thumbs up

Well ,I have been doing alot of searching and would love to Know the reasons.Yes I did check under my Nic address and both have the same IP just a diff. adapter address,It was still working this morning.I wish some one could actually see it LIVE and then maybe I could find the answer....Or maybe in this case believe me.......I am BAFFLED.But I do want to extend my Thanks to all for your help and support.
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

Originally posted by x_789:
    OK with cox@home the modem will assign up to 3 ips using dhcp as far as the name messing it up one digit if you changed the last letter -a to -b that is the second fo your 3 ips. As far as not having an ip address you are looking at the ppp adapter and not you nic card in winipcfg there is no way you can be on the internet without diffrent ips. With cox or any cable modem setup i have dealt with you dont need a router; a hub or switch will work just fine. X
    agreed...take a look at the drop down box in the winipcfg window or go to a dos promt and type c:\>ipconfig/all
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

X is right...doesn't the @home "modem" serve as a router? You have an interal IP but no external; but the online games are just looking for the external IP, which is the cable connection.

Are you sure the 0.0.0.0 was the right IP?
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

Wink

I have the Toshiba modem,just one ip with a different character in the computer name.The games are servered on one computer via Won and the second computer connects to the games for Half-life,unreal & q3 with know issue...If the Modem is a router that would explain the issue,The Hub is a 10baseT Kinston 8 port hub,1 Intel nic and a 3com nic(3c509b).I am on the second computer right now as my girl friend is on the other wasting my money on e-bay. 65.5.173.33 is the same IP for both Computers at this time.....
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

Originally posted by x_789:
    OK with cox@home the modem will assign up to 3 ips using dhcp as far as the name messing it up one digit if you changed the last letter -a to -b that is the second fo your 3 ips. As far as not having an ip address you are looking at the ppp adapter and not you nic card in winipcfg there is no way you can be on the internet without diffrent ips. With cox or any cable modem setup i have dealt with you dont need a router; a hub or switch will work just fine. X
    that's 100% correct
    most cable modems will assign 2-3 IP's

you can check it very easy

go to your browser and type http://192.168.100.1

(this is for Surf Board modems. . you can find out what adress your model use)

go to "addresses" tab..

Red face

A note, since terminology seems to be causing confusion.

In typical cable/dsl services, they give you a router, to connect into their network. There is no such thing as a cable or DSL modem. MoDem is short for "modulation/demodulation device", for the decoding of asynchronous analog data to digital it does. DSL and Cable are digital data being transmitted on dedicated digital connections...there is no demodulation involved.

l'm typing this in a hurry, feel free to correct my mistakes, if any
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

Zovilak

Smile

Have you tried putting two NIC's in the Pc connected to the internet and use Winroute for NAT? This way, only one Pc is connected to the internet and only one IP is published. You can use a switch, HUB or crosslink to connect the Pc's together.

Talking

Just today I did the same thing. It took me about an hour and a half to network I and my friends computers together (hee hee! He gave me forty bucks for fixing his machine, yay ) Anyways, I am no tech expert 'yet' and I found amusing when yes, indeed my ip had changed and his was a mere 1 digit differnece(22.22.22.21, 22.22.22.22) afterwards. I had em' hooked through a hub with my cable modem cable stuck in the 'uplink' plug, and with one PC in the number '1' slot and the other in, you guessed it, the number '2' slot. I used Net BEAUI (I think that's how it's spelled) protocol or something like that and it worked! (I HAD actually done some research, it wasn't just luck, hehe) I had all his stuff in no time! We had a shared internet connection (through my cable modem) and it was great, yay! Anyways, I just wanted everyone to know this, so that your cable provider doesn't charge you the 10 bucks a month or whatever for that extra ip address (What a rip off).

Talking

Just today I did the same thing. It took me about an hour and a half to network I and my friends computers together (hee hee! He gave me forty bucks for fixing his machine, yay ) Anyways, I am no tech expert 'yet' and I found amusing when yes, indeed my ip had changed and his was a mere 1 digit differnece(22.22.22.21, 22.22.22.22) afterwards. I had em' hooked through a hub with my cable modem cable stuck in the 'uplink' plug, and with one PC in the number '1' slot and the other in, you guessed it, the number '2' slot. I used Net BEAUI (I think that's how it's spelled) protocol or something like that and it worked! (I HAD actually done some research, it wasn't just luck, hehe) I had all his stuff in no time! We had a shared internet connection (through my cable modem) and it was great, yay! Anyways, I just wanted everyone to know this, so that your cable provider doesn't charge you the 10 bucks a month or whatever for that extra ip address (What a rip off).