cable service networking...

Thread: cable service networking...

Unhappy cable service networking...

Greetz,
    Currently we have a DSL-based LAN in the house, with 4 machines running. Recently @Home was made available here in Lakewood, WA. Having seen Cable vs. QWorst DSL we would like to switch .. but apparently I have a problem. How to share the cable modem service throughout the house ... without having to pay the extra $$ for 4 IP addresses.

At the moment, our DSL router supplies the internal IPs for the machines (10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.5). I hear that with Cable modem you get one static IP, and then I would have to pay for 3 more? Is there something easier to do - and less costly?

Thanks...
    -Mo
    [email protected]

You can solve it one way by getting a router to distibute mutiple IPs in the LAN.Just my 2cents.Although your @home provider won't be to happy btu then again they won't know will they?
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

Wink

With @home you only have the option of getting a TOTAL of 3 ips your primary then two others. Your options are as follows to not have to pay for the address install a proxy software on the modem machine or install a router. My recomendations are as follows proxy http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...work/proxy.htm this is free and very easy to set up the only thing is all trafic will pass through one machine. The second Routers everyone will say get a Linksys WELL I SAY DONT stay away from linksys they are junk. I would recomend www.nexland.com their new soho or netgear, or smc or dlink as last resort. IF you dont want to do any of these things then what you can do " this is not legal" is when you get your ip for your one machine start pinging ips in your subnet when you get no reply then set them static on your other machines along with the same dns and default gateways as you original machine with a bogus computer and host name. This will work through a hub or a switch trust me. I will not be liable if you do this act. I will say I know it works for a fact hint hint X
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

jrd

Cool

On a machine that is left on the majority of the time, dual-home it (that is, have to NICs in it). Set on to DHCP and plug it into your cable modem. Set the other to an address that complies with the scheme you use in your house (eg. 10.0.0.x). Disable the bindings for File and Print Sharing from the @Home card. Next, goto AnalogX and download their free proxy program and install it on your proxy server (ie the multi-homed machine). Goto all of the other workstations and in their IE settings, set the proxy to be the address of the internal card (check c:\program files\analogx\proxy\proxy.txt for the port settings). Most basic stuff works with this proxy (e-mail, www, msn etc.) the only things you might miss on the other workstations are Napster and ICQ.

BTW if you switch over to @Home, go download a copy of ZoneAlarm (it's free).

Hope this helps...

Talking

The DSL router...is that one you bought or is it supplied by your ISP? In the end what I would recommend you do is go buy a Linksys Cable Modem/DLS router that has built in DHCP so you can assign it the outside(cable) IP and it will automatically assign all the internal IP's based on the internal scope you give it(ie 10.*.*.* or 192.*.*.*) I know many people I consider idiots who can set these things up. Plus they are only $80-120.
    Also do not be tempted by the Netgear DSL/Cable modem router/firewall(they are made by Bay Networks who are know to make shoddy equipment at best)
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Don't forget to use a firewall if you don't use a router...hell...for that matter use one anyway
    Dopey Is My Hero, the king of idiots, the mentors of morons.

Get a new router. I've got a linksys and it's ok but the UGate runs better. $228 at www.emscomputing.com. With a dedicated router you don't need a whole machine dedicated to internet sharing and from personal experience, my downloads on my cable modem went up about 10% when I moved from Win2000 Advanced Server with ICS to the linksys.

Manufacturer
    UMAX
    Weight
    4.35 lbs
    Built-in WAN Ports Type 1
    DSL/Cable Modem Port Only
    RJ45
    Form Factor/Mounting
    Standalone
    LAN Ports
    (7) Fast Ethernet 10/100BaseTX-RJ45
    Manufacturer
    Umax
    Misc Features
    Dynamic or Static IP Addressing
    NAT Firewall
    PPPoE
    Network Type
    ADSL
    Cable
    Fast Ethernet 100Base-TX
    SDSL
    Number of WAN Ports Type 1
    Other Ports
    Parallel
    Uplink
    Protocol Support
    DHCP
    HTTP
    NAT
    PPTP
    TCP/IP
    Total Active Configurable WAN Ports
    Type of Unit
    Cable/DSL Router
    Firewall
    Gateway
    Print Server
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Voyager

Thumbs down

Yo DUDE

Read my post on how to do this, all the directions are there!