[RESOLVED] Direct link network

Thread: [RESOLVED] Direct link network

bushby

Resolved [RESOLVED] Direct link network

I have a bay netgear network connecting two home computers for gameing using CAT 5 UTP cable, is it possible to bypass the hub and connect the twp PC's directly through one cable for faster data transfer. Will it have any problems?

Voyager

Yes - but you will need a "crossover cable".
    It looks like a standard cat 5, except it has pins 1 and 8 reversed on one end.

bushby

Talking

cheers

bushby

Talking

cheers

Hey I dont mean to be rude but this is incorrect you have two swap 4 wire on one end see this link for pictures and definitions make sure to use 568b standard that is the normal for everything in america but the Military. http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...cableprint.htm X
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

Originally posted by Star_Fleet:
    Yes - but you will need a "crossover cable".
    It looks like a standard cat 5, except it has pins 1 and 8 reversed on one end.
    huh?

one normal end: Orange Stripe(OS):Orange(O):Green Stripe(GS):Blue(Bl):Blue Stripe(BlS):Green(G):Brown Stripe(BrS):Brown

and one "crossover"'ed end: GS:G:OS:Bl:BlS:O:BrS:Br

So you are switching your Greens with your Oranges.

Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

x_789 is correct in this situation. The wires that are crossed are not pins 1 and 8. However, if making the cable is too confusing or you just don't want to hassle with it, most computer stores have them in stock. Just ask for a CAT 5 crossover cable.

Good Luck
    A bored admin is a very dangerous person...

Question

Why do you think a direct connection would be quicker than going through the HUB? As long as you dont have other measurable traffic at other ports of the HUB you won't remark anything...
    And what do you think: Does a game that can be played over internet connections with 56kbit/sec shouldn't be satisfied with the 10Mbit/sec LAN?

So you will definitely not need to remove the HUB, if it in good condition... better check your network settings... when gaming is slow perhaps your NIC has problems, or your PC is low on performance as gaming-server