Unidirectional Connectivity??

Thread: Unidirectional Connectivity??

Question Unidirectional Connectivity??

Ok, I'm confused. I setup a small peer-to-peer in my friend's office. 2 PC's (one running NT 4.0 and the other has Win 98) and one printer. The NT box has the printer on it and a modem. The IP configs are as follows:

NT:
    IP - 192.168.0.1
    Sub - 255.255.255.0
    GW - 192.168.0.1

98:
    IP - 192.168.0.2
    Sub - 255.255.255.0
    GW - 192.168.0.1

They use an account with the same name/pw on both pc's and they have drives shared. My buddy (at the suggestion of the support group of one application his business uses) upgraded his NT machine from Service Pack 3 to SP6a. This shouldn't be a big deal, I deal with SP6a at work all day long. However, now the 98 machine can see the shares on the NT box and can ping the NT box, but the NT machine can't see 98 via TCP/IP or the shares on the network (NetBui).

What gives? It's not a bad NIC or cabling or the hub because 98 can see NT just fine. But not vice versa....
    I can't understand why it won't work.
    The requirements say Windows 95 or better... So I installed it on my Linux box.

Originally posted by Nailz:
    Ok, I'm confused. I setup a small peer-to-peer in my friend's office. 2 PC's (one running NT 4.0 and the other has Win 98) and one printer. The NT box has the printer on it and a modem. The IP configs are as follows:

NT:
    IP - 192.168.0.1
    Sub - 255.255.255.0
    GW - 192.168.0.1

98:
    IP - 192.168.0.2
    Sub - 255.255.255.0
    GW - 192.168.0.1

They use an account with the same name/pw on both pc's and they have drives shared. My buddy (at the suggestion of the support group of one application his business uses) upgraded his NT machine from Service Pack 3 to SP6a. This shouldn't be a big deal, I deal with SP6a at work all day long. However, now the 98 machine can see the shares on the NT box and can ping the NT box, but the NT machine can't see 98 via TCP/IP or the shares on the network (NetBui).

What gives? It's not a bad NIC or cabling or the hub because 98 can see NT just fine. But not vice versa....

A few things to check..

1. can both machines Ping each other using the IP ?

2. Can both Machines Ping Each other using The NetBIOS name ?

you obviously didn't setup a WINS server - so a logical choice would be to add the addresses of both station in the LMHOSTS file on each machine...

make sure you didn't disable the NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the WinNT Machine (in TCP/IP Properties)..

hope you find it helpful

Angry

Hi,

I'm not quite sure if I'm right, but in my opinion there must be a problem (and it is good like this!) when a Win9x-PC (that is NOT connected to a NT-domain and for this knows nothing about NT-users) wants to get resources from an NT system, that can only share on a per-user-basis.

There are more than one possible solutions for this and I hope one fits:
    - Set up a NT Domain Controller and setup Win9x (and your NT-workstation) to the configured domain (that is not a joke, but obviously too much for this small network)
    - Turn the problem around... that means connect the NT system to resources shared on the Win9x (that is, what I do for quick) ... I'm not sure if and why, but in my cases I had then to give NO password on the shared resources.
    - Use a remote-control tool (Laplink or similar) that exists for both OS... most of them can share a lot of resources and you can setup a bunch of policies (good for a longer working period) ... I don't remember the name, but there is a good tested freeware around.

I hope that helps
    greetings Higg

I CAN ping (via the IP address and the name in the HOSTS file) from the 98 machine to the NT box. I CAN map drives that are shared on the NT machine to the 98 machine. I just can ping or map going the other way. The NT box does not see the 98 machine at all.

It's not a rights issue or a domain issue.

At it's most basic level, I should be able to have basic TCP/IP connectivity both ways.

okay since you can pimng both IP and netbios NAmes it just might e a browse Master issue

disable the the Browse Master on the Win98

(file and print sharing properties -> adv. -> browse master = no )

enable it on the Win2k (open regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters IsDomainMaster "True" .. MaintainServerList "Yes" ) reboot and try again.

also use netstat -a command to see if your computer are listening on port 139 (NetBIOS)

FYI -

Lesson to all Techs ... I've been in the field for 6 years. Had a friend of mine, who's just getting out of a Tech Institute happen to stop by the my friend's office. He was talking to my buddy's partner and asked him the basic questions,

"When did it work last? What have you installed since? etc."

Now the friend that I had been talking to knew about the Service Pack 6 upgrade on the NT box...but didn't know that his partner had installed something else... NOW GET THIS. Here's his response:

"Gee, I only installed a Personal Firewall program (by Symantec I believe) on the Windows 98 machine. You don't think THAT would have prevented it from being seen on our network, do you?"

WELL DUH!!! All's working just fine now that the firewall was removed.