Win2K ICS

Thread: Win2K ICS

Post Win2K ICS

I have Sprint DSL hooked up to my Win2K machine here at home. Wy wife's machine is a Win98 box. We have our machines networked together for the fun of it, and everything works great. I have 2 NICs in my machine, one to connect to my DSL, the other to connect to her machine. She's currently using 56K access to get online, and I want to be able to share my DSL conn with her.

I have set my WinPOeT connection to be shared with her the LAN that connects our two computers, and configured her machine to connect through the network, and initially it works. But, there is an EXTREMELY long wait for webpages to load into her machine (longer than through her 56K conn), and usually it times out.

I know I have something wrong in the settings somewhere, but can't figure it out. I'm wondering if anyone knows just what settings should be used on each machine to get this setup to work correctly?
    We are MicroSoft. You will be assimilated. We will take your technology and call it our own. Resistance is futile.

Perhaps you've done that... but just in case:

- Have you used 'private IP-adresses' for your LAN? (you must do this... for example use 192.168.0.1 and .2 with netmask 255.255.255.0)
    - Have you set the default gateway on your wifes PC correct to your ICS-machines NIC (the private one)?

Yeah, these have both been done already. Thank you. Any other ideas?
    We are MicroSoft. You will be assimilated. We will take your technology and call it our own. Resistance is futile.

Are you using static, Auto-allocated or DHCP IP addresses? Find out by typing "IPCONFIG /ALL" at a command prompt on your wifes machine. To use ICS on Win2k it must act as a DHCP. Therefore its IP address will be 192.169.0.1, and your wife will get an IP address from the IP Pool. Your wifes must be set to Obtain IP automatically(from the DHCP server). Because the Win2K machine is the DHCP server it has to be up and running before the other system attempts to obtain an IP from the server.

The Win2K machine should read something like this

DHCP enabled - no
    IP address - 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

The Win98 machine should be

DHCP Enabled - yes
    Auto Config - yes
    IP Address - 192.168.0.* (*. depends on the number the DHCP gives out)
    Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway - 192.168.0.1 (This is the Win2K machine)
    DHCP Server - 192.168.0.1
    DNS Server - 192.168.0.1
    Lease obtained - (The date and time IP address was obtained from DHCP server)
    Expired obtained - (When it runs out)

Please check this out If your wifes IP address is automatically allociated(not from the DHCP server) this can cause problems.

I just did this exact same thing last night with two computers at my house. I have a Win2K Professional machine with a cable modem that I wanted to share with a Win98 machine. It took me hours and hours to set up simply because I was making a very small mistake in the setup of ICS. When I finally figured out what was going on, it took less than five minutes to get both machines up and running! Here is the easiest way: Remove all ICS from both machines (Add/Remove programs) Set up your Win2K machine first i.e. get the DSL connection working properly, make sure the NIC going to your wife's computer is installed properly. Once that is done, go into Network properties, right click-on the DSL connection-properties, click on the Sharing tab. Check the box that says "Share this connection." A box will pop up that warns you that the IP address will be changed. Click on OK. That's it for the Win2K machine. Go to her machine. Go into the properties for her NIC. Make sure that her setting are as such: Get IP automatically, WINS disabled, No default gateways (remove them if there are) and no DNS servers (also remove them if they exist) Reboot the Win98 machine. After this, the connection should work properly on her machine.
    Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're
    maintained by people actively applying them, visibly, in public. - Eric Raymond

I hope that works. I tried doing that on my Win2K...and I ould not get rid of the wait or time outs. The first site would work great(wherever IE homepage was), but anything else was hit or miss. What I ended up doing is getting a Linksys router (you should be able to also, since you probably use PPPOE), then share it that way. It works great, I dont' have to keep one computer running just to go online with the second, and it is much faster. Faster then it was when I was using Win2K Server.

You can also get a hub/switch... plug both the Win2K machine and the Win98 machine into the hub and then plug the DSL modem into the hub/switches uplink port.

Set up the win98 machine and the Win2k machine to connect independantly using RASPPPoE Dialer... I have three machine running of one DSL modem with this technique and it works very smoothly.
    _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _
    James Sprott
    [email protected]
    http://webscaping.net

"Never put all your ranking officers in the same shuttle craft!"

NeoNexus

That's the exact setup I have been using, that's been giving me the trouble. Glad to know I had what SHOULD have been right.

Following Ron's work, I set mine up like his. I'd used this setup before, I believe, and couldn't connect at all. Now though, it seems to have done the trick. I probably missed something along the way.

I appreciate the help, guys! Thanks! My wife also thanks you!

Originally posted by ThunderVamp9:
    ... I probably missed something along the way...
    That's just where you best blank all and begin from the very start - good to hear that it works now!

Yeah the rebooting of the Win98 is what I forgot to put in there!!! You have to reboot to allow the Win98 machine to obtain an IP from the DHCP server or type ipconfig /renew at a DOS prompt

On the server, make sure that you have the DNS server IP for the ISP too, not just the local server.