data transfrer speed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: data transfrer speed.

Banned

Post data transfrer speed.

ok , i,ve just had to put a network card in my machine to copy some files to another,

both machines on 2k and using tcp/ip thru a crossover cable ,, (one machine has a dial up modem)

1 card is a realtec 10/100 ,,,and the other a "VERY" old 3com 509b (combo) ,,,,,

ok 20 mins per gig ????

(i have 6 x files all 1g each to copy)

ok this is because it,s droppin to 10/ ,,,YES ??

how much of an inprovement (speed wise ) by going 100/ ,,,will it be 10x of now ,,,?

dont need hub ,,,no need at moment ,,,,,,,,just quick and simple ,,,,

FtF

if both cards are 10/100 then it should be faster, chances are your old one is 10 baset only. hence your running at that speed.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Banned

ok , cheers ,1 of the cards IS a 10/ base , latest result: 6.32g = 2hrs 16 mins ,,,,

what speed "should" i expect with a matching 100/ card ,,,,thats what i,m getting at.has anyone got an idea what the data transfer rate "is" in usage at 100/ not nessesaryily what the mfg quote?

FtF

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by freddy:
    <strong>ok , cheers ,1 of the cards IS a 10/ base , latest result: 6.32g = 2hrs 16 mins ,,,,

what speed "should" i expect with a matching 100/ card ,,,,thats what i,m getting at.has anyone got an idea what the data transfer rate "is" in usage at 100/ not nessesaryily what the mfg quote?

FtF</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">on base 100, yout talking about what your system can pump into the bus. harddrives tend to max out at around 35 megs/sec PC bus maxes at 127.. so the answer is "has fast has one computer puts the information on the line, and how fast the other computer can receive it."
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Banned

ok cheers , one machine is xp class with ata133 60g and ample memory ,,,the other is a duel p111 again ata100 again 60g with ample memory ,,,the xp machine will be claased AS PCI 2.1 ,,,and the p111 pci 2.0 ,,,

so "theoreticly" with that senario will i see a 10x increase when i change the other card to a 100/

that is what i am trying to ask ?

FtF

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by freddy:
    <strong>ok cheers , one machine is xp class with ata133 60g and ample memory ,,,the other is a duel p111 again ata100 again 60g with ample memory ,,,the xp machine will be claased AS PCI 2.1 ,,,and the p111 pci 2.0 ,,,

so "theoreticly" with that senario will i see a 10x increase when i change the other card to a 100/

that is what i am trying to ask ?

FtF</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">your ATA bus may be running at 133, but your drives can't use that full bandwith. benchmark both drive in question, the slowest of the two will be your transfer speed.
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    WD Black 750 gig
    Lots of fans

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar

By the numbers you supplied, you're getting about .77 Mb/sec. I just copied an 88MB file over my LAN in 32 seconds, which works out to about 2.7 Mb/sec.

I don't think you'd see the full 10x worth of improvement, but 5-8x what you're currently getting wouldn't be out of the question.
    WWBRD?

Banned

ok cheers ,,latest info ,,,been watching a 90 min film on tv ,,,set smartripper to rip a dvd to a directory on the other machine using my athlon ,,,usually rips (and decodes) @ 6 - 10x dvd speed ,,,this has been running for 2 hrs and its done about 64% the read/decode speed is 0.6 and is showing data > @ 811kb/s (which is %ammed slow) ,,and the led on the recieve machine is just flashing once every second or two ,,,,anyway i hope that i can up this by sticking a second 100/ card in ,,,, i will have to see if the new card does the trick ,,,,otherwise forget the idea

the realtec card 10/100 is only £8.99p ,,,but he only had 1 in stock (delivery wed/thurs ),

Matridom both machines are using maxtor ata133 drives (7200),,first machine A7V333 @133 second machine QDI brillianx iv using 2x p111 and a promise ATA100 card ,,,,about 12-20% diff using si soft sandra (if u believe it) ,,,

Next question ,,,how do i get an internet conection via second machine ,,,,dial up modem on other nachine ,,,sombody suggested 2k sever with back office ,,,,,is that true or false?

thanks anyway

FtF

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar

<strong>
    Next question ,,,how do i get an internet conection via second machine ,,,,dial up modem on other nachine ,,,sombody suggested 2k sever with back office ,,,,,is that true or false?

thanks anyway

FtF</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">A win2k server would do the trick for sharing your internet, but that's like buying a bus when all you need is a bicycle.

You could buy a version of Winproxy for under $100, it would allow you to share your internet and has a feature that will automatically dial up when any PC makes a request for internet. Or you could download AnalogX Proxy from <a href="http://www.analogx.com," target="_blank">www.analogx.com,</a> it's free and works well.

The easy way and the way I would do it would be to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the PC with the modem connection. You can find detailed info on how to set it up in your help files. Just type in ICS or internet sharing and it should walk you right through it.

Good Luck!
    WWBRD?

Have you tried manually setting the cards to 100Mbs Full Duplex to see if it makes a difference and also a different crossover cable?

Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Archer:
    <strong>Have you tried manually setting the cards to 100Mbs Full Duplex to see if it makes a difference and also a different crossover cable?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">new cable today ,,,old one was faulty/intermittant ,,,,,but remember i have already stated that 1 xard IS a 10/ caed (only) so setting the old card would not do anything ,,,, have u like the previous poster any "concrete" figures u can throw into the equasion

FtF

try looking here: <a href="http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/netspeed.htm" target="_blank">Networking</a>

"What speed can we expect from a 10base2 or 10baseT network ?
    These networks are rated for 10 MBit : Bits, not Bytes !
    With 8 Bits per Byte, the maximum theoretical throughput is 1.25 MByte,
    but this value cannot be reached in reality."

This <a href="http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/mswinswdev/glossary.htm" target="_blank">web page</a> gives the following info under BPS
    When calculating the maximum throughput across a network remember that network communications itself has some overhead. As a rule of thumb therefore divide by 10 to get the number of bytes that this equates to.
    For typical connection speeds this equates to:
    Speed Maximum achievable throughput
    28.8Kbps 2.8 K-bytes per second
    56Kbps 5.6 K-bytes per second
    10Mbps 976 K-bytes per second (almost 1MB a second)
    100Mbps 9.5 M-bytes per second (almost 10MB a second)

Actual throughput rates may be less than this because of other factors such as other network traffic.

Banned

ok i think i,ve found the answer out in "laymans" terms,,,,,god i love simple graphs ,,, <a href="http://www.ultimatetech.co.uk/display.php?file=html/reviews/3com_hub/page4.htm" target="_blank">http://www.ultimatetech.co.uk/display.php?file=html/reviews/3com_hub/page4.htm</a> shows the new 3com 10/100 hub in use ,,(curtisy of product reviews on windrivers home page). so it sahows the true difference between 10/ and 100/ ...

FtF

Arrow

So don't use tcp/ip.... lots of overhead ... that's what's got your bandwith...

Netbios? Faster... less secure but configure it correctly?..