data transfrer speed. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: data transfrer speed.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by confus-ed:
    <strong>So don't use tcp/ip.... lots of overhead ... that's what's got your bandwith...
    </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Uh.. lots of overhead in tcp? I think thats a pretty bad generalisation.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

Banned

ok , matching 10/100 card gone in today ,,,great improvement ,,,,600m (of random win cab files etc + a couple of "large" mpegs ) 600 meg = 1m 40secs ,,,

now to throw some salt into the wound ,,,i have set up internet access on the second machine (using analogx proxy) ,,,,and whilst on this machine connected + d/loading a 50m file to the slave , i just added those files ,,,,to try and slow it down.!!!!

this thing now surfs 2 different forums , whilst d/loading ,,,,and thats on a 56k dial up.!!!

(cheers noo noo ,,,,,duellys ruullll)

FtF

Are you still using the Crossover cable?

Isn't a crossover cable just T568A on one side and T568B on the other side?

If both of those are true then I would say the most limiting factor is the T568A side of the cable not being able to support fast ethernet at 100mbps.

just tossing that out there.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by craigmodius:
    <strong>Are you still using the Crossover cable?

Isn't a crossover cable just T568A on one side and T568B on the other side?

If both of those are true then I would say the most limiting factor is the T568A side of the cable not being able to support fast ethernet at 100mbps.

just tossing that out there.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">ok , nice terminology (t568a/b) ,,,,hav,nt got a clue what you are on about ?? ,,,the cable is ready made and marked "cat 5" and it has got the same plug on e both ends ...

by changing the card to a new one and a bit of tweaking , i am now getting 2.1 g of files across the cable in 3m 40 secs

so the set of vob files (i have been using for test) 6.32g were taking 2 hrs 16mins and as of now the set is taking 11 mins ,,,, (ps just been to machine on end of cable (no modem) and opened ie5 and checked my orig post , whilst typing this )

things are improving ,,,,can see a set of gigabyte 10/100/1000 boards and some cat 6 cable as the next step up!!!!!

Cheers

FtF

sorry 'bout that, I didn't explain those. T568a, and T568b, are the pinout scheme for the cables. They look like <a href="http://www.ipsyn.net/mirrors/cabling/T568Cable.htm" target="_blank">this</a>

t568b is the pinout for fast ethernet at 100mbps, and t568a is the pinout for ethernet at only 10mbps.

a common way to make a crossover cable is to make one with A on one side and B on the other as it crosses over the 4 active wires pins 1,2,3, and 6. like shown <a href="http://www.cabletron.com/support/techtips/tk0231-9.html" target="_blank">here</a>. The other 4 wires aren't even needed.

I was just thinking that if your crossover cable had one side as t568a then you might be limited to 10mbps. Unless you put in a hub or switch, and use cables pinned out to T568b.

Sorry for the confusion.

Banned

ok , i,m not @ home now , BUT when i had 1x`10/ + 1x100/ i was showing a 10/ on the properties and getting 600-800k transfer ,,,,now with 2x100/ cards it is showing 100 in properties and transfering @ 6-8m ,,,,,so cable must be right???

will pick a hub up (and 3 new cables) this w/end as i want to connect hp4100tn in equasion

cheers freddy

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">ok , i,m not @ home now , BUT when i had 1x`10/ + 1x100/ i was showing a 10/ on the properties and getting 600-800k transfer ,,,,now with 2x100/ cards it is showing 100 in properties and transfering @ 6-8m ,,,,,so cable must be right???</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The properties listed for the NIC in the network options in the control panel just show what it is capable of. Chances are if you go to properties of the NIC adapter, and click over to the advanced tab and look for Link Speed/Duplex, it is most likely set to auto negotiate, or adapter default.

You wouldn't need to change it from auto if you toss in a hub. Just the 100 mbps NIC will quietly support both 10mbps and 100mbps, but the pinout of the crossover cable is limiting the speed your system is capable of, as far as I know. (I'm no expert.)

Anyone else out there know if the T568a pinout end of a crossover limits you to 10mbps??? I have no real world benchmarking numbers to back me up.

Registered User imaeditedbysowulo's Avatar

I've never heard of that. The speed that the cable is capable of is dependent on the wire that is inside, not on what order you put the wires into the RJ-45 connector.

My vote says Freddy's cable is just fine.
    WWBRD?

Banned

well i don,t think its gonna get any better ,,,,,removed the promise card - to see if there was a b/kneck on the pci bus (ata100 card + nic card on bus) ,,,,slowed down a bit (now ata33) 4.21gig =7 mins ,,,,,,,BUT with the ata100 card in , it burns over the cable at 40x (burnproof) or 24 without burnproof on ....now that is DAMMED good!!!

PS just bought a "black box" serv switch -vid/mouse/k/board 2 way(new in box) most of cables in a seperate box ,,,,checked price (us) $2xx dollars + $5xfor cable kit (total US about $280)about £175 UK ,,,,,got it for £15 ,,,,

are they good or what ?????

FtF