Linksys Cable Router - open port?

Thread: Linksys Cable Router - open port?

Thumbs up Linksys Cable Router - open port?

I have a Linksys "BEFSR41" Router, although I have had no problems with it (it works like a charm), I've heard that there are a couple of undocumented open ports. Has anyone heard of this? If so, which ports are they?
    Veni, vidi, quiesco sum.
    "We came, We saw, We lazed around"

3fingersalute

That's interesting, I would like to know that also...we use Linksys for all our DSL router installs here!

I haven't heard of anything like that although I do have some suggestions.

First of all make sure you change any default passwords.

Grab a port scanner and from someplace else on the Internet scan the external address of the router to make sure you have it setup right. BTW YOU SHOULD ALWAYS DO THIS

Stay up to date on firmware updates, Linksys make actually have a mailing list on firmware/bug/security updates.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

You can always go to ShieldsUP! and check. I run an SMC Barricade on my DSL, and I love it. Several of my friends have the Linksys, and it is OK, but not as feature rich as the SMC.

I know that the RCA Cable Modems have/had a open port at 1024/TCP. This changed for some reason about a week ago. Anyhow, here's a way to get the IP of your cable modem/DSL. Pull the power cable from your modem/DSL box, fire up a network sniffer, then plug the power back in and turn it on (if needed). Now look at the sniffer. When you get the IP, portscan your modem/DSL for all (1-65535) UDP and TCP ports.
    I know that AT&T @Home has remote admin software for the RCA Cable modems. This software can do just about anything they would ever need to be able to do. Oh yea, the RCA cable modems run a web server on port 80! The page shows stats on the local LAN in your home. Scary.

Have Fun.