ND-2500a Writing problem

Thread: ND-2500a Writing problem

ND-2500a Writing problem

Hi to everybody,

I bought a NEC DVD writer ND-2500A, and I cannot burn DVD.
    I can read and write Cd, read DVD but I cannot write DVD.
    My burning software is Nero Burning Rom 6.3.1.10, and everytime I try to burn a DVD Nero crashes and it's not possible to close the application by Task Manager, and I must reset the PC.
    This is the only burning software I've installed, I've installed the last ASPI drivers, but the situation is always the same.

My configuration is:
    -athlon xp 2500 barton on an ASUS A7V600
    -512Mb Ram
    -primary IDE Master: an old 8GB HD
    -primary IDE Slave: 52xCD writer
    -Secondary Master: ND-2500a
    -200Gb SATA Maxtor HD
    -USB HD lacie 160Gb

Please Help me, I don't know what I can do now

Thanx,

Luca

So hi albo77 & welcome to windrivers

Is this a retail version of Nero or the one that came with your drive ? Many times they include a 'locked' copy which only works with 'x' writer model fully, its possible in that case, that if they included the wrong program version that you could get 'similar' (its not at all unusual for this to happen)..

You've also got a cd writer lurking in there, & I pressume you used writing software with that ? Same or different ? & above concerns apply ..

When we've got that straight we can look at troubleshooting steps

Oh & of course ! ... all windows patches done & any (I'll guess without googling) appropriate VIA chipset patches applied ?

Hi and thanx for the quicky reply.

I've downloaded from the nero website the demo version of the software, that has all the feature of the original but has a time limit, so I think this shouldn't be the problem, and this is the software I use to buer both CD and hopefully DVD.
    I didn't find any new VIA Chipset patch but I've install all the windows patches.

I hope these informations are enough to help me,
    thanx in advance,

Luca

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    So hi albo77 & welcome to windrivers

Is this a retail version of Nero or the one that came with your drive ? Many times they include a 'locked' copy which only works with 'x' writer model fully, its possible in that case, that if they included the wrong program version that you could get 'similar' (its not at all unusual for this to happen)..

You've also got a cd writer lurking in there, & I pressume you used writing software with that ? Same or different ? & above concerns apply ..

When we've got that straight we can look at troubleshooting steps

Oh & of course ! ... all windows patches done & any (I'll guess without googling) appropriate VIA chipset patches applied ?

btw the button on the left marked 'post reply' lets you type an answer without having to be re-quoting 'whoever' each time

Before you put your 'trial' Nero there, you uninstalled your old one & rebooted ?

"I didn't find any new VIA Chipset patch " I trust means - yeah I know what chipset patches are & I've put the latest one on ? - just confirm for me

& when we say 'crash' what do you mean ? Stuck/frozen - off is the only way out ? BSOD ? If so error please .. & do you know how to look in event viewer ? If so any entries there please now..

Yes, I know what VIA patches are, and I already have the last one.

When I say "Nero Crashes" I mean that Nero is freezing and on the Nero windows appear the label "program without control" (I don't know if this is the real message in the english version but the meaning should be the same), and when I try to close it, it continue to stay open but without BSOD.
    After that the system of course is not working fine and for example if I launch internet Explorer it'll not run.
    If I try to exit from windows it will not close the system because Nero is still running and it cannot close it.

Let me know if you need gurther information

Confirmation about things in event viewer please.

I'll take a flyer at "program without control" as its translated (possible further complication ! as no 'exact' error, but your English seems pretty good ) - if its followed by some program name or even numbers then somethings gone wrong somewhere with an install, any thing there would probably let me find a solution, OR it might be some kind of internal Nero error about internal program control- so is it a windows type box ? & again same question about program name or numbers ..

The more you can tell me the better .. but so far I'm stuck .. btw this aspi ? (for reference later for others , but there are earlier versions) & of course you've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Nero too ?

Have you run malware checks ? so spyware, AV, etc

Of course I've tried to uninstall/and re-install several times nero (cleaning the regitry too), but always the same.

I didn't try to run Malware, and unfortunately at the moment I cannot tell you any message number because I'm not in front of my pc (I'm at work).

I've installed the aspi you told me.

have you got any ideas about this problem?, any advise?, have you ever heard a problem like this?

Thanx for your help

I think when you give me the exact error (untranslated please - & then explain any words to me if you would) & I'm reasonably confident I can figure it out - you need to be infront of the pc to supply the info I need (Any event logs will definately help), but it might be to do with foreign langagues somehow (mismatched file versions etc) so I guess I need to see

But yes nero 'frozen' isn't at all unusual.

Hi,

I've taken a look into the event manager and now I can tell you that:

Error,
    Origine: Application hang
    Categoria: (101)
    Evento: 1002

I hope this is enough for you

Let me know

Ciao

Luca

hi i also have a nd-2500a here are my specs:
    KT8-neofsr w/ athlon64 3000+
    512mb ddr500
    samsung 160gb sata
    nec nd-2500a oem dvd/cd burner
    ati 9500 64mb
    windowsxp

i also run nero 6 and from my experience is that nero wont copy copyrighted dvd's that means DVD-9 if your trying to burn some other video to dvd you have to get nero vision express with the dvd plugin..
    it's a addon to nero6 you can get it at the nero website
    Last edited by EsteWayEsChingon; June 1st, 2004 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EsteWayEsChingon
    ..and from my experience is that nero wont copy copyrighted dvd's that means DVD-9 if your trying to burn some other video to dvd you have to get nero vision express with the dvd plugin..
    it's a addon to nero6 you can get it at the nero website
    So thank you for that 'amazingly obvious' thought which had apparently eluded me !
    (better add most DVD burners out there can only do dvd -5 so 4.3 gig & you have to shrink them first & straight nero can't do that even with the plugin, there's another product, which I think is called - Nero recode ?)

So is Nero 'behaving itself otherwise' i.e with cd burning &/or data DVD writing ?

Btw I wanted the details out of event viewer not just the 'summary', event id 1002 is pretty much 'hardware busted' {shows some communication problem between device drivers generally} (which is not very enlightening), but google found me quite a few permission based errors with the matching category & event.
    Last edited by confus-ed; June 1st, 2004 at 03:08 AM.

yes con-fused thats right you do need nero recode which is included with nero express.. if you use another program to extract a dvd9(dual layer) you can use recode to shrink an burn on a dvd-5(single layer) and the NEC nd-2500a can only burn dvd-5
    yea other wise nero is behaving normally cuz i've had that problem too

it's good to check you have the latest drivers and bios for your mboard and cd/dvd burner

Quote Originally Posted by EsteWayEsChingon
    ..thats right you do need nero recode which is included with nero express.. yea other wise nero is behaving normally cuz i've had that problem too
    A bit of WotPP (thats an in-forum joke, if you don't know what on earth I'm talking about) going on with you huh ? you can btw edit your own replies to add bits you missed here albo77 should have latest motherboard drivers & firmware updates generally help with actual burning mistakes here I got the impression that it happens straight away, but reviewing it, I can see it may be possible, so yeah get the latest firmware for your burner too

Can you ellucidate a bit on your 'experience' I've not seen this particular combo of circumstances without Nero kicking an error ..