Windows 2000 device manager code 10 for CDROM drive that works as a boot device

Thread: Windows 2000 device manager code 10 for CDROM drive that works as a boot device

Post Windows 2000 device manager code 10 for CDROM drive that works as a boot device

I had my Windows 2000 systems running for a few weeks with a CDROM drive perfectly visible. One day I noticed that drive D is gone from My Computer. I went to Add/Remove Hardware and I learned that my CDROM device failed to start (code 10).

I went through a number of troubleshooting steps including physically disconnecting the CDROM drive from the ATA cable and connecting it again. The system recognizes new hardware, says that it installed the proper drivers, and suggests rebooting the computer so that the driver installation takes effect. After rebooting the drive becomes invisible for the operating system. Again, the device manager responds with code 10 when I try to investigate the situation.

I also ran Windows 2000 system repair session from a Windows 2000 Professional installation CDROM disk. My machine has no problem with booting off the Windows 2000 Professional installation CDROM disk in the very CDROM drive that delivers the problem I described above. I chose the repair option rather than full re-installation of the operating system. The repair process went just fine off the CDROM drive at question and then, after the final reboot, I ended up with the same problem.

I tried several CDROM drive models attaching them to the primary IDE port as a slave and to the secondary IDE port as a master device – no difference.

I ran out of ideas on what to do next. I will probably fully reinstall the operating system, which is rather painful taking into account lots of applications I will have to reinstall after that.

Any ideas?

Joe Sufleta

[email protected]

Try reinstalling the IDE/Chipset drivers for your motherboard.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

from technet:

Code 10
    If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:

This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard.

Talking

I would like to thank the people who cared to reply to my message.
    I did resolve my problem without going through a time-consuming full re-installation of Windows 2000. I would like to share my experience hoping that somebody may face a similar problem in the future.
    Driven by some hints received from some Internet forums, the messages related to the CDROM issues similar to mine but experienced under Windows 98, I decided to play with the registry.
    I noticed that registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Enum->IDE contained multiple subkeys related to CDROM-type devices. I decided to try removing these keys. It took some effort because even as an administrator I did not seem to have privileges to remove these keys. Silly enough I was able to use the "Security" menu item on the registry editor toolbar to change the access rights and allow my removing the keys.
    Right after I removed the keys (and the CDROM related items in the device manager), I rebooted the system and the CDROM started working properly.
    Again, thaks to everybody who tried to help.
    --Joe

Code 10 fix

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Sufleta
    I would like to thank the people who cared to reply to my message.
    I did resolve my problem without going through a time-consuming full re-installation of Windows 2000. I would like to share my experience hoping that somebody may face a similar problem in the future.
    Driven by some hints received from some Internet forums, the messages related to the CDROM issues similar to mine but experienced under Windows 98, I decided to play with the registry.
    I noticed that registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SYSTEM->CurrentControlSet->Enum->IDE contained multiple subkeys related to CDROM-type devices. I decided to try removing these keys. It took some effort because even as an administrator I did not seem to have privileges to remove these keys. Silly enough I was able to use the "Security" menu item on the registry editor toolbar to change the access rights and allow my removing the keys.
    Right after I removed the keys (and the CDROM related items in the device manager), I rebooted the system and the CDROM started working properly.
    Again, thaks to everybody who tried to help.
    --Joe
    Hey, Joe,

I have the same problem you described, tried most of the remedies recommended by others, but yours seems to have worked for you. Where is the HKEY_... file. Do I have to be in dos to see it?

Thanks,
    John Oller

Quote Originally Posted by John Oller
    Hey, Joe,

I have the same problem you described, tried most of the remedies recommended by others, but yours seems to have worked for you. Where is the HKEY_... file. Do I have to be in dos to see it?

Thanks,
    John Oller
    Welcome to WD John.
    As you may not have noticed, this thread is over two years old.
    Please start a new thread, or if you'd rather continue with this, give us more details: OS? External CD model #, the problem you are having: is it code 10?
    The HKEY is in the registry and you should not be messing with this by yourself, or unguided. Usually the solution to this error is to remove old references to the device, reboot and redetect and reinstall.
    OH neat: the triple R's.