LAN,Hub,Cablemodem,1IP,2 machines...Amazing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LAN,Hub,Cablemodem,1IP,2 machines...Amazing

Exclamation LAN,Hub,Cablemodem,1IP,2 machines...Amazing

I have LAN setup here at the house for gaming and now web surfing for my new half life playing girlfriend.I kept the same settings for the TCP settings as the on the original machine,except the comp name is one digit off.I can browse the Internet on both machines and also play Multiplayer on the Internet at the same time(Both machines playing).1 IP address,1Hub(not a router).I was gonna purchase a second IP but now no way.Just wondering how and why I got over on the system. Thanks......
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

Also,I am on that second machine......

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

You are sure both machines are getting assigned the same IP address cause I know that those cable modems will assign up to 2 IP's by default. I would run WinIPcfg again on both machines just to double check. I would still get a router just for the sake ov having a hardware firewall and just one firewall, now you have to protect both machines seperately. Maybe a Mod could see what IP's you have logged on your post to check my suspicion.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Thanks, well winipcfg says...0.0.0.0 for the ip,although I know the actual IP is the same.I wont put it here for the sake of privacy but I do run firewalls on both,Black ice.I was all for a second IP until this happened and may still acguire it.Let me know if a moderator can figure out the ip
    Thanks

well what kind of internet access do you have? Plus if IP was working AT ALL you would have a unique address, you need to be more specific in you post. what operating system are you using. you don't need to have an extra ip address to play a game over ipx. if you can be more specific I can solve your problem.
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA

Win98,1 IP, And so the Cox@home people say I should not be able to do this because of DHCP.I know IPX is for the game but I launch an Internet Multi so does IPX still reserve itself for that? I did not think so.The tranfer is via TCP/IP.The only dif is the Comp name..........

Do you have a modem in both computers? if so, then that is why you are seeing the 0.0.0.0 IP address when you run winipcfg. Run it again this time clicking the dropdown arrow to select the network adapter. Unless BlackIce does something really crazy you should be getting assigned a unique IP address for each computer. Also, try going out to a MS-DOS prompt while in windows and doing an ipconfig /all and see what gives you, that is a text version of winipcfg and will give you the info on all "network" adapters at one time.

Originally posted by TECH:
    .....Cox@home people say I should not be able to do this because of DHCP.....
    You didn't tell them what you are telling us did you? Kinda like tellin the bank that you were able to walk right into the vault and take some money.

Angry

Yeah,I told them only because I knew the tech.All is well with them. I don't have a prob with paying for the IP.Just a reason for why it is working. No Modems installed,removed those Two weeks ago.IP's are the same in the drop window also,all is the same......except the adapter address,those are different....

Did DOS, No IP....

Angry

Yeah,I told them only because I knew the tech.All is well with them. I don't have a prob with paying for the IP.Just a reason for why it is working. No Modems installed,removed those Two weeks ago.IP's are the same in the drop window also,all is the same......except the adapter address,those are different....

Did DOS, No IP....

crazy

how are you sharing your internet connection?
    A+ Net+ MCP CCNA

Exclamation

I just duplicated the settings of comp 1 and messed the name up one digit that is all......

That shouldn't work. Are both PC's Online at the same time with the Same IP? Windows would tell you that there's a conflict is they where.
    Today, a haiku:

Google, you f**ktard
    my fingers are so weary
    of repeating crap

Talking

OK with cox@home the modem will assign up to 3 ips using dhcp as far as the name messing it up one digit if you changed the last letter -a to -b that is the second fo your 3 ips. As far as not having an ip address you are looking at the ppp adapter and not you nic card in winipcfg there is no way you can be on the internet without diffrent ips. With cox or any cable modem setup i have dealt with you dont need a router; a hub or switch will work just fine. X
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"