[RESOLVED] Network Re-Arrangement

Thread: [RESOLVED] Network Re-Arrangement

chardk

Question Network Re-Arrangement

Hi there,
    In the next few weeks, we will be rearranging our office set up which will include moving our three servers and the hub they plug into. Our office is wired with LAN outlets in every office leading to wiring closets where they plug into patch panels and then hubs.
    Right now, our three servers plug into a 3com SuperStack II 24 port hub. The hub has two cat 5 cables plugged into it that come out of a hole in the wall and another cable coming from an outlet, totaling three lines plugged into this hub, in addition to the servers that are plugged into it.
    When I move this hub, do I need to have multiple connections to support it like it is now? I have tried to contact the person who set it up this way and have had no luck. My question is, can I just move the hub and servers and plug the hub into the wall in the new office or do I need more than one line connecting it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks

If you are moving the hub, then you should also be moving the connections that are coming into the hub. You sound knowledgeable, but without the hub your equipment will not be able to communicate (read: network down). Where the hub is plugged in doesn't matter because, the hub's responsibility is to just repeat the information it receives across all ports.
    end of line.

It will depend on how the cabling is configured.

CAT5 cable is setup in a star topology, not a bus. This means that you cannot just move the hub and expect everything to work correctly. For instance if all the CAT5 cables from the workstations come into that room, you will need to move them with the hub, otherwise none of the cables will connect to anything.

You should trace the cables back and find out where they go and why they are connected to the hub - more than likely they need to be moved, or you will need to leave that hub there to provide a connection to those ports.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

chardk

Question

Thanks so much for your response..:-)
    I plan on moving the hub and the three servers to a different office.. But that office has one LAN outlet and right now there are three cables coming out of the wall going into the hub where it is now.. Can I move the hub and servers and just plug in the hub using one cable? Is there some reason there are three cables going into it now?
    I am somewhat knowledgable, but mostly learning as I go.. Thanks for your patience.. :-)

chardk

Thanks, Cyber, this is now making more sense!!
    :-)