[RESOLVED] RT314 Router Woes

Thread: [RESOLVED] RT314 Router Woes

Hybrid View

t37

Post RT314 Router Woes

This is my first posting so bear with me. I just upgraded from a 56K connection to cable. I went with a Netgear RT314 to share my cable connection. Configured the WAN part ok but am having problems with the LAN part. I want to share files between three computers One desktop and two laptops. All running 98SE at this time. All can acces the internet with no problems. All have TCP/IP and NetBEUI installed. All have assigned differnt IP addresses, same submask and same domain information. Gateway IP of the router is assigned to each. I can ping the router from each unit but not any other computer and therfore I can't share info. Each unit has the same workgroup name but unique id's. What am I missing????? I know it has to be something really simple but I just don't see it. I want to add a print server at some point but need to get this figured out first. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Have you added the file and print sharing service? Goto your network properties and click the button that says "File and Print Sharing..." check both boxes, then click OK. Then Ok on the network properties. This should add the service. Check the Network Neighborhood and see if you can see the other machines. If they are not listed, try using the run command and try and browse to them with \\[comp_name]. Make sure you are logging into the network. When the login prompt comes up do not click cancel. Put in anything and click OK, this logs you into the network.

t37

Now I'm really confused. Let me backup a little. Print and file sharing is enabled on all machines. I tried your suggestion on the command line and low and behold I got a listing of the shared drives on the machine I tried to access (did not get any login screen though) I was able to transfer files between computers. I then tried to ping the IP of the computer I had just moved files from and I get a time out message. Double clicking network neighborhood brings up the comuter I'm on an nothing else. Why will one way work and not another????

simplify the network, remove NetBEUI
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Make sure you only have TCP/IP installed on both machines. Put in IPX if you have applications that need it most modern stuff can use TCP/IP. This will make sure that both computers are using the same protocol to communicate.

The login screen I am talking about is when you first boot up the computer. Make sure you do not hit cancel, otherwise you will not login to the network.

It may take up to 5 minutes or so to "see" the other computers on the newtork via Network Neighborhood. Be patient.

If you had trouble moving files you may have put the share on Read-Only instead of Full. If you want to be able to remotely create, and delete files you need to set it on Full.

Hope this solves any confusion.