internet sharing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: internet sharing

Post internet sharing

The two computers i want to share connection are win 98 and 2000. win 98 has the cable modem and so i have to use that for the gateway. i tried ICS, but found out it won't work with 2000. gave me a message saying that it can only be used with 95 or 98. or is there a way i can use ICS with the 2000 computer. i just want to figure out the cheapest way to set up the internet sharing.
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

MAC

I recently setup a similar network. All I had to do was setup the internet connection sharing on the win98 machine. Then setup the windows 2000 machine with no TCP/IP properties (i.e. IPs, DNS, or WINS)and set internet explorer on the 2000 machine to use LAN connection. Once you have selected LAN connection, make sure you are not trying to use a proxy server. Then it should just work. Oh yeah, make sure they are on the same workgroup/domain. hope this helps ya.

something of note:
    there is no "client" for ics, all the file is doing is making sure that you are set to DHCP, no gateway, no dns, no wins, no proxy settings.
    you can use ics with any os, so log as you can set it to bootp or dhcp, or you can plug in the ip info manually and it will still work

Thumbs up

Hey, well i got the internet sharing working. i tried with ICS, kept messing around with it for a while, it wasn't working. So, i downloaded a proxy server. set it up and it works great with my LAN. I'm using AnalogX from tuscows.com. I think someone recommended it. Thanks a bunch!
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

ecartman

Angry

You could use the crappy software in 98 and 2000, but I would fork out money and get: LINKSYS BEFSR41 4PORT 10/100 CABLE/DSL ROUTER

It averages around 130.00 US. Best part is, you don't need to have the internet sharing PC running if you are just going to use the other PC for the web.

x_789

Dont waste your money on a Linksys!! just stay with the AnalogX or if you are wanting a router try this www.nexland.com the soho it rocks just got one last night or go with netgear if you get want something that is not gonna drive you crazy. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

The D-Link 4 port is $99.00 and is fairly painless (it also supports a modem link in case the broadband goes down)

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

ok I can't stay out of this one...NETGEAR!?!?

that is made by BAY NETWORKS!! If you know anything about networking(home or other) you should know that ANYTHING made by Bay is crap and should be avoided like the plague. Linksys is just as cheap but is more reliable for the money. If you want to go cheap(which is what you do when it is at home) stay away from Netgear/Bay Networks garbage.

Disclaimer: I realize that Linksys isn't the greatest and there may be problems but far and wide Bay Networks is KNOW to be one of the worst producers of networking equipment(how they stay in business...oh yeah it is morons who don't do research buying their crap keeping them alive)
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Well not everyone in this world can afford to use 3com, so what do you recommend for those people who are on a budget?

You can slam any mfgr for all I care, but if they suck, then WHO is good?

Originally posted by tha 4NiK8R:
    ok I can't stay out of this one...NETGEAR!?!?

that is made by BAY NETWORKS!! If you know anything about networking(home or other) you should know that ANYTHING made by Bay is crap and should be avoided like the plague. Linksys is just as cheap but is more reliable for the money. If you want to go cheap(which is what you do when it is at home) stay away from Netgear/Bay Networks garbage.

Disclaimer: I realize that Linksys isn't the greatest and there may be problems but far and wide Bay Networks is KNOW to be one of the worst producers of networking equipment(how they stay in business...oh yeah it is morons who don't do research buying their crap keeping them alive)
    I dont know what circles you move in, but i have NEVER had a problem with any Bay product..including Netgear. in fact, i have a 24 port hub Baystack 102 on my desk right now that has NO cooling fans in it(scavenged for a 3COM hub) and it has been running non-stop for over 3 months this way.
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

Originally posted by MacGyver:
    Well not everyone in this world can afford to use 3com, so what do you recommend for those people who are on a budget?

You can slam any mfgr for all I care, but if they suck, then WHO is good?
    I've had very good success with DLink DFE-530TX+ and they wholesale for around $16.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Actually, Suwolo, it was a a question directed at the original poster. Ya, I'd agree the Dlink 530TX is a good card, it's what I'm using at home for my DSL modem.

Cool

Don't try to impress me by saying you are using a NetGear HUB...first of it is a HUB. I have been working with networking equipment for years and Bay Networks is known far and wide to make garbage. It is cheap for a reason. Go into major corporations and ask their Network Engineers what kind of SWITCHES they use and if they are using Bay it is because management made it so. If you are too slow to get my point I am telling you that using a HUB in and of itself is not too bright. Let me explain it to you in simple terms: Hubs operate at Layer 1 of the OSI model while Switches operate at Layer 2. Which means(here is the good part) that hubs, like the people who spend money on them, are stupid. Hubs may say they are 100base but if you are using 20 ports that is 5mbps per port(24=~4mbps). A switch on the other hand gives dedicated bandwidth to each port meaning that EACH port gets 100mbps. Routers operate at Layer 3, but since I believe I have already brought enlightenment to the pagans I will digress. From now on do some homework before you jabber :P
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

I'll second that DLINK DFE-530TX+ recommend. Buy.com has them for 12.69 and I have had several in various shops and never had a problem with them. Not saying they are the best, only that they have performed admirably for me.

Also had good luck with LINKSYS LNE-100TX if we are talking about cost-cutter NICS.

I have only worked with ONE Netgear card, and it was a real bear - but it was more of a config problem than the actual card. Nonetheless I wouldn't buy another one...
    <a href="http://www.warfarehq.com" target="_blank">
    WarfareHQ</a>
    <a href="http://www.theblitz.org" target="_blank">Wargamer's Home!</a>

Originally posted by tha 4NiK8R:
    Don't try to impress me by saying you are using a NetGear HUB...first of it is a HUB. I have been working with networking equipment for years and Bay Networks is known far and wide to make garbage. It is cheap for a reason. Go into major corporations and ask their Network Engineers what kind of SWITCHES they use and if they are using Bay it is because management made it so. If you are too slow to get my point I am telling you that using a HUB in and of itself is not too bright. Let me explain it to you in simple terms: Hubs operate at Layer 1 of the OSI model while Switches operate at Layer 2. Which means(here is the good part) that hubs, like the people who spend money on them, are stupid. Hubs may say they are 100base but if you are using 20 ports that is 5mbps per port(24=~4mbps). A switch on the other hand gives dedicated bandwidth to each port meaning that EACH port gets 100mbps. Routers operate at Layer 3, but since I believe I have already brought enlightenment to the pagans I will digress. From now on do some homework before you jabber :P
    The difference between hubs and switches is not the way they share bandwith. Hubs broadcast to every port when it recieves a packet. This creates many collisions and decreases bandwith. Switches poll each port and get the MAC address on each port. Then when a packet comes it looks at the destination and forwards it to the correct port.

Hubs are not bad, they are a cheap way to connect a few computers where you don't need tons of bandwith requirements (Internet Sharing, Small gaming group). You would want a switch if you have tons of bandwith going through, or tons of devices connected.