Internet connectivity

Thread: Internet connectivity

Post Internet connectivity

Here's another fun one...

Machine in question is a Win2K Pro. NE2000 NIC. RASPPPoE Dialer.

Machine connects to Sympatico DSL, authenticates OK, gets IP address etc.

Machine can see,talk to and be talked to other machines on LAN.

Machine can ping (using CMD prompt) "most" (I say most because there are a few that we have found that do not get replies, microsoft.com being one that couldn't be reached.) address on the WWW.

Browser and E-Mail cannot connect... just keep getting DNS error.

Have tried reinstalling DUN and Network components... (This used to work a week ago.) Have run "ipconfig /flushdns"

_ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _
    James Sprott
    [email protected]
    http://webscaping.net

"Never put all your ranking officers in the same shuttle craft!"

is this just something that started happening like today, or has this been like this for the last week? I ask because it's possible that your internet provider (or their provider) has a link down to some other provider and that's cutting you off from some of the net.

The other two machines are connected to the internet also using RASPPPoE Dialer and do not have the same connectivity issues, this is why I believe the problem is with the Win2K machine.
    _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _
    James Sprott
    [email protected]

Tracert www.microsoft.com at the command prompt, if it fails to get a response from the first hop it's a problem with the 2k box or the DNS server. If it bombs somewhere further along the hops, it's your ISP.
    Check that the IP address + mask you're getting aren't part of a seperate subnet to the working 2k connections.
    Make sure there isn't a hosts file with incorrect mappings on the suspect 2k box.

Sorry if this is all a little obvious, but it's all i can come up with for $0.02
    What does this button do?

A lot of organizations block WAN ping requests as a security measure. Microsoft is one of them, so don't worry about that portion. As for the browser and e-mail issues, if it isn't an ISP issue.....that's something I need to brainstorm, because I swear I've seen it before, but can't remember what the deal was. Sure someone here knows.....
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Originally posted by cordon:
    Sorry if this is all a little obvious, but it's all i can come up with for $0.02
    The $0.02 is in the mail... and after working on a problem for a few hour's tends to fog the brain, so nothing is really obvious... I didn't think to try tracert or the HOSTS file... I will do that later and get back to you... Thanks...
    _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _
    James Sprott
    [email protected]

Originally posted by James Sprott:
    The other two machines are connected to the internet also using RASPPPoE Dialer and do not have the same connectivity issues, this is why I believe the problem is with the Win2K machine.
    Do you know how much IP-adresses you may have assigned by your ISP? If the number is 2... that's it perhaps...

But as far as you said
    Machine can ping (using CMD prompt) "most" (I say most because there are a few that we have found that do not get replies, microsoft.com being one that couldn't be reached.) address on the WWW
    I wonder about your configuration...
    - Did you tried to ping with DNS names and did they resolved to true IP adresses in the command box?
    - If Yes - your Browser MUST be able to resolve the same web-adresses - you should check your network-settings... perhaps you have proxys defined (only check the box where you'd say "directly connected to internet")
    - Is your Mailclient using the browsers settings (and so is also doing wrong)?
    - ... and what do you mean by saying "Machine can see,talk to and be talked to other machines on LAN" ... do you have a LAN with a DSL-router wherover you connect to the Internet?
    - If you have no DSL-router... do you have then a DSL-Modem (incl connection) for EACH PC? (I don't beleive...)

I think I'll have to learn more about DSL components....

A DSL Modem is plugged in to the uplink port on a hub/switch... all the computers are plugged into same hub/switch. RASPPPoE queries the network for and DSL service and set's up a Dial-Up-Connection, emulating ISDN.

It's all really clean and slick, and I have it working at a number of different sites, with 2-14 computers at each site. Most are using the same ISP... so I don't think the number of IP addresses is the problem.

_ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _
    James Sprott
    [email protected]

Turn off one of the other pc's - restart the Win2k machine and attempt again - many ISP's only allow 2 IP addresses from any one dsl modem MAC address - this is more than likely the case here - the reboot should test for that.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

I thought of that too, and I have tried with just the one machine live... however the DSL supplier is the same that I am using on other LANS and I am not having the same issues there...

still
    _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _
    James Sprott
    [email protected]