[RESOLVED] How to share @home Cable

Thread: [RESOLVED] How to share @home Cable

Hybrid View

Voyager

Thumbs up How to share @home Cable

Just got my cable modem and thought i would share how its being networked.
    First thing I did was purchase a small hub (under $30) and a router from D-Link - their low end Di-701 is under $90. Then I hooked the cable modem to the router using standard ethernet, and connected the uplink on the hub to the router using a cross-over ethernet cable. Next I plugged my 3 home computers into the hub using standard ethernet.

Now comes the fun part:
    You have to turn on the Router FIRST, then the cable modem, then the computers. - The router will show up using the D-Link utility and you give it the same name as your account # for @home. Then you set the TCP/IP up on the computers using DHCP with that account number as the server.

Results: Pretty good - my next purchase will be 100bt cards for the computers because they are running 10bt, but even so I can have all three on accessing the net with speed better than 56K dial up.

I have @home, and your modem will only run at 10bt(assuming you used their modem). I have a 10/100 card in my pc, and it only connects at 10bt. So, buying 100bt cards won't give you much more speed, if at all.

However the 100Bt cards will give you a faster xfer rate between pc's on your home lan.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Rant Time!

Amen brotha! You didn't buy the Netgear(Bay Networks) router and I can truly say that I am happy for you. I never miss a chance to beat this into the heads of the "unenlightened". Netgear makes garbage, why pay perfectly good money for something that is crap?! D-Link or even Linksys are better both in price and performance. Bay Networks is like the Packard Bell of networking equipment(every IT person out there can't wait until they die off and we never have to deal with their crap again).
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Just thinking that you might want to upgrade your hub to a switch. Even an autosensing Hub can trun into trouble communicating across 100 to 10 connections. The switch will also give you better throughput between the computers. An 8 port Linky 10/100 switch is like $80.
    end of line.

I bought the Linksys cable router and to my suprise it was pretty much p&p. For $129.00 I'd recommend it to anyone
    "Is a dream a lie, if it don't come true?" -Springsteen