USB DSL Modem

Thread: USB DSL Modem

Post USB DSL Modem

Hey guys I got a question. A customer has a DSL modem from the phone company that he is "stuck" with. It is part of a contract rent to own type deal. Basically it connects to the computer through a usb port (guessing internal ethernet card) . We need some type of device that would allow the usb coming from the DSL modem to connect to the nic in the computer through cat 5. Is there a device that would allow this to happen? Maybe a DSL router with usb inputs? He need to have internet access on several computer through DSL and he is running WIN98 not WIN98SE so internet sharing is kinda out of the question. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks.
    Eric

Yikes. I don't know if what you are asking is possible. I think if it was me I would add a USB expansion card to the puter and go from there.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

Linksysmakes a Ethernet to USB converter, however it is intended to be used to connect a computer to an ethernet network by using a USB port. I don't know if it would work the other way around, since it probably needs drivers to operate.

A better bet might be to setup a Linux Router out of an old 486 or Pentium.

So, here is a warning to all considering DSL or cable internet access: if you intend to share the connection, make sure the modem you will be using has an ethernet interface and not a USB interface.

Hi people,
    Not sure if this will work but if you have the gift of the gab it might.. Your fried could try to push his DSL company to upgrade the modem type to something like a "terayon terajet cable modem" as it has both USB and CAT5 connectors. If he can convince them that the modem isn't what he requred they may replace it or upgrade it? Worth a try....

Well, I just helped a friend this weekend with the same problem, except that it was a cable modem, not a DSL modem. Anyway, here's what I did. . .
    1. Installed a nic in computer.
    2. Downloaded Winroute from Tiny Software
    3. Configured Nic for private IP
    4. Installed Winroute
    5. Configured Winroute to run NAT on private Network.
    6. Turned on Winroute DHCP for private network
    7. Browsed internet on private computers.

This should work for you as well. Good luck.
    end of line.

I have a sucky DSL USB type modem that i am stuck with but we have two networks using them and we are trying all the different proxy type NAT solution at the moment and they all work well from free ones to the dear ones all are easy to instal

maybe i should write a review of the results
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

I have never heard of an adapter of the sort you mention - but I agree with MacGyver - get an old 486 with a usb card, 2 nics and a floppy (no hard drive necessary) and set up a Linux router. It works great, is simple to set up and configure and will provide more protection to your local peecees than a cheap win32 software router package.
    "Who but me should write the book of cruel?"
    Misfits; All Hell Breaks Loose

Not only that - but you could use an older "thin" machine with a small power supply - a cheap clean Linux server - think of the possibilities: Proxy, Firewall, MP3 server, email, ftp and apache - and would be extremely cheap.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010