[RESOLVED] ADSL+Internet Connection Sharing

Thread: [RESOLVED] ADSL+Internet Connection Sharing

Geoff Rose

Post ADSL+Internet Connection Sharing

Trying to get 2 networked computers-1 with adsl link to internet, running win98SE, the other running win95 to use the 1 adsl connection with ICS. All appears to have installed ok, the host connnects ok but the client won't access, even though the network is fully functional.
    It all works ok if I use a regular modem/dial up adapter on the host so I know all the software works. Tried Microsoft's knowledge base but to no avail-help!

If your on ADSL then you have 2 network cards in one computer or your running a hub, if your running on a hub, then I do not beleive that you can ICS, ADSL changes the IP address when ever you connect, and thats why your second computer won't see the IP to connect. What you need to share connections is a Cable/DSL Router and this will alowe you to share the DSL line, or if not running a 2nd card in the host computer install one and do a direct cable conection to the other computer, this should allow the ICS to work properly. But this will slow down the DSL throughout the network, I recommend that you invest in a router, I just went thruogh this with my systems and the router takes care of everything, and you won't loose speed on the network.
    Computers are like life, constantly changing, and without change we would become STAGNET

Geoff Rose

Dear Redbeard,
    thanks for yr speedy reply, however I do not have a hub. The 2 computers are connected by thin ethernet cable & NE2000 type adapters.
    The external ADSL box is connected to the computer via a CNet pci adapter.
    Does this make any difference to yr previous thoughts.
    Geoff

Thumbs up

ICS will work through a hub. Even though that doesn't apply to your situation.
    I have done it.

I would use that ICS setup to make the disk and then take it to the client pc.
    Would you like fries with that?

Geoff Rose

Cool

I have found the solution to my own problem!

Set ICS to dial-up adapter not the NIC that connects to the ADSL Modem.

Originally posted by grrose:
    <STRONG>I have found the solution to my own problem!

Set ICS to dial-up adapter not the NIC that connects to the ADSL Modem.</STRONG>

Prey tell i am in the same situation and would love to know how adding the dial up adapter helped. I use a speedstream 4060 USB with my ISP i cannot use anything else. whenever i install ICS the adsl adapter dissapears completely when i check with WINIPCFG all help greatfully recd.
    BTW i have used analog x proxy but cannot get the voice function of msn messenger to work even with socks cap 32 or analog x port mapper. I currently use http://www.proxyplus.cz/ this works great but clients still cannot use the voice function of msn messenger
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001