Subnetmask

Thread: Subnetmask

Cool Subnetmask

I have a BIG problem.
    When users are trying to login, they can use the IPX/SPX but they cannot use the TCP/IP protocol.
    When I run WINIPCFG and choose the correct networkadapter, I get an IP adres, but my subnetmask is 255.255.0.0, this is not good. It should be 255.255.255.0. But every morning the users have to run WINIPCFG and choose "renew all" and then the subnetmask is being changed correctly.
    How can I solve this problem, so the subnetmask is already good without doing the step "renew all" every morning?

Thanks in advance.

What network are you running?

NT and Novell!

On what server does your DHCP server reside? On NT just resetup the global options to reflect the correct subnet.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Originally posted by Clause:
    <STRONG>I have a BIG problem.
    When users are trying to login, they can use the IPX/SPX but they cannot use the TCP/IP protocol.
    When I run WINIPCFG and choose the correct networkadapter, I get an IP adres, but my subnetmask is 255.255.0.0, this is not good. It should be 255.255.255.0. But every morning the users have to run WINIPCFG and choose "renew all" and then the subnetmask is being changed correctly.
    How can I solve this problem, so the subnetmask is already good without doing the step "renew all" every morning?

Thanks in advance.</STRONG>
    This is a default address that windows gives if it cannot obtain an address from the DHCP server. You will either have to hard address these machines or figure out why they are not getting a valid address. If you are cold starting a server or router, make sure that they are fully on before bringing up the workstations. It just sounds like the timing is off on something. Read this article

here.

Thumbs up

Network is:
    - Server/Client
    - Novell based network with NT Servers
    - DHCP

When I first start the PC the subnetmask is 255.255.0.0 and it should be 255.255.255.0.
    If I press "Renew all" then the subnetmask changes correct.

HELP ME!

Are you getting the same IP addresses aside from the subnet mask??

Something is either hokey with your DHCP server or you've got a rogue DHCP server out there somewhere.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

Is NT or Novell providing DHCP???

If DHCP is sourced from a NT server, is the subnet mask in the Scope properties for the active lease correct?

Open the DHCP Manager (can be done on any NT server), open the DHCP server (symbolized by the IP of that server), and highlight the active lease below it. Then open the menu Scope, then Properties. In there you should see the class C subnet mask. If you see 255.255.0.0, then change it to 255.255.255.0. If it is already right, you have troubles.

Did the PC's ever get it right in the past? Because of the mix with Novell, I think you are going to have to provide allot more info...I've never provided that kind of support with a mix...someone here might, but they haven't spoken up yet.

I wonder, if authentication occurs in Novell, and DHCP is giving IP to the PC (along with subnet), you can narrow down the problem. If we can have someone explain the sequence that this task is performed.

PS. Please stop double posting...you are making me dizzy!

The subnetmask on the Server is right. It is 255.255.255.0.
    When we login into Novell, everything works.
    So IPX/SPX works fine. But when I start for example Internet Explorer..it cannot open sites. So I open winipcfg or ipconfig(Win2000) and then it has an IP adres, but the Subnetmask is just wrong. (255.255.0.0).
    When I "renew all" it gives the good subnetmask and Internet Explorer works fine.

I just don't understand why.
    Has DNS got something to do with this?

Okay, the subnet changes what about the actual IP address. Is the original one 169.254.x.x or is it apart of your company's IP scheme. If you renew your IP address and can surf the web I wouldn't think it was a DNS issue. And it can't be a DNS issue with recieving the IP address because DHCP should be assigning the DNS Server addresses too if you have it configured that way.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Alright, you really need to go back and read the replies to your questions. They were all very good possibilities and you seemed not to notice them at all. Either that or you tried them and it didn't work. If that is the case, you'll need to let us know what worked and what didn't. Also, you need to actually answer the questions that are posed about your situation. We need more info to help, but you haven't provided.

Here's the breakdown:
    We know from what you've said:
    1. Users can log into Novell, so..
    2. IPX/SPX *must* work correctly (incorrect conclusion by the way)
    3. You have NT servers that may or may not be providing DHCP
    4. Somewhere, someone has a Win2000 computer
    5. Subnet mask is just wrong.
    6. You defintely have internet access *after* you /renew, and you can't use internet explorer before you /renew

Here's the questions that have been asked of you that you haven't answered:
    1. Which server does the DHCP server reside on?
    2. Are the IP addresses that are on the computers before you do the renew the same IP addresses that are the computers after you do the renew?

And here are the things that weren't specifically asked of you, but you should've provided. Perhaps you didn't think of them first, but after reading the suggestions other users made for you, you should have, in the interest of getting YOUR problem solved, provided:

1. How the servers are physically connected to the network
    2. How the clients are physically and logically connected to the network
    3. Whether or not you're starting the servers themselves each morning, or leaving them on all night
    4. If you have client to client connectivity through TCP/IP prior to renew
    5. What OS clients are running, how many NT server
    6. How many Novell servers there are
    7. Who's doing the routing
    8. Which server is the DNS

Ok, so that's just 8 things, and there are bound to be many more questions. This is how troubleshooting works, especially in a time-delayed situation, that you provide answers to questions and try to be as concise as possible. Please do not repeat anything you have already said. Especially that IPX/SPX works, Subnet is just wrong, or that when you renew all it gives a good subnet. WE KNOW THIS ALREADY. Answer the questions, and we can probably figure out what's going on.

I apologize if I seem abrasive, but I've been watching this post since the beginning (as subnet are a specialty of mine) waiting for some information to come out of it, but so far, no luck.
    Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're
    maintained by people actively applying them, visibly, in public. - Eric Raymond