ip scheme help needed

Thread: ip scheme help needed

Post ip scheme help needed

ok heres the situation, i would like to setup a ip scheme so i know where a pc is located on the network i would like to have ip addresses of 10.x.x.x the netmask is the part i am having trouble with. i was wanting to run 10.x.x.x/13 so i could have 64 subnets (i was only going to use 50 of them, 1 for each state)if i do that i only leaves 3 bits for a location number which only has 8 posibilites, some states have as many as 16 locations, any suggestion how to do this?

00001010.xxxxxxxx.yyyyyyyy.zzzzzzzz

i would like the x's to tell me state and location number if possible y would need to be the department and floor, i have no requirements for z

any suggestion how to do this?
    Luke, OBGYN Kanobi is the only one!!

Lightbulb

Ok,, based on what you want heres an idea I came up with...

Based on you wanting a unique network ID for each State (50 total), and another unique ID for locations in each state ( up to 16), I came up with this subnet mask for the 10.x.y.z network ID..

Heres how you might be able to break it down, one octet at a time:

10. - This is your starting network ID. 255 is of course the default mask number for a Class A network and you must start with it.

x. You should be able to designate any number here from 1-254 as "State" identifiers if you use the .255 subnet mask

y. These are your unique "Site" identifiers in each state. By using the custom subnet mask of .248 it will allow for 30 different site identifiers. They will start with the number 8, 16, 24, 32, 40, and so on in multiples of 8 up to the ID of 240.

z. These are your hosts per network. Based on the 255.255.248.0 subnet mask, you will be allowed 2046 hosts per "Site"

Say Alaska is State #1, and you have 3 "Sites" there.. heres the breakdown

10.1.8.z - First Site
    10.1.16.z - 2nd Site
    10.1.24.z - 3rd Site

Now say Arizona is State #5 and you have 4 sites there... heres its breakdown

10.5.8.z - First Site
    10.5.16.z - 2nd Site
    10.5.24.z - 3rd Site
    10.5.32.z - 4th Site
    10.5.40.z - 5th Site

Hope this gives you some ideas, and Im curios as to what you come up with!
    Live long, die rich, leave a 20yo widow...