[RESOLVED] 2nic's in 1 win98 machine

Thread: [RESOLVED] 2nic's in 1 win98 machine

paulfromdinotown

Post 2nic's in 1 win98 machine

I need a windows 98 machine to speak to a Network printer that requires that the Win98 machine have static IP address.

This same machine needs to use an ADSL connection which is set up to dynamically assign IP addresses.

I have been advised that putting 2 Nics in 1 machine is a viable solution BUT whatever NIC I put in as a second NIC will do neither job. It will not speak to the printer nor will it speak to the ADSL connection. The first nic will do either (not at the same time, obviously as the IP addresses differ), and in fact although the second nic appears in the device manager and appears to be operating there, the program that polls the dhcp server does not recognize that the second nic exists.

HELP HELP HELP

Is windows 98 just not advanced enough to support 2 nics both using TCP/IP (one statically and one dynamically)???

Or did I merely screw up something simple???

darkblu

You probably have some gateway (routing) configuration problem with the second NIC. Run a winipcfg from the Run box and make sure that both NIC's are present in the drop-down list. Verify the configurations. See if you can at least release and renew an ip address from the DHCP server.
    Take it from there. Let us know.

------------------
    Pöwer is nöthing withöut cöntröl...

nkavanau

2 Nic's in a Win98 box is not a problem.
    Since the first card is already set to DHCP don't do a thing to it.
    At this point I will assume you are direct connecting to a network printer, or through a hub.
    When you install the second Nic set it to Specify IP, put in your IP Address and SubNet Mask and Default GW if needed. Make sure the IP and subnet are on the same net as the printer. (If the printer is on a segment with a DHCP server it might be advisable to get the DHCP scope so you don't use an IP in the servers range)
    Now for the printer. If it is an HP then you will need JetAdmin software, which could pose a problem since HP isn't supporting it in it's download section anymore.

One other problem I have run into with 2 Nic's in wIN98:
    Both NIC's trying to use the same IRQ (9). If this happens try manually moving one. If that fails you can always reload the OS.
    Personal note: Use 2 different brand NIC's so you can easily distinguish them when looking at system properties during troubleshooting.
    If you need more try me at [email protected]
    Good luck..

Vette2000

Check your IRQ settings. If one works at first, then you plug in the second one and they both stops responding that's usually the case. If they're set on the same IRQ they cancel each other out. Some computers let you make the settings in the BIOS some wont. DONT reload the operating system!!! It's not necessary!! Hope this gets you going

------------------
    If walking is so good for you, then why does my mailman look like Jabba The Hut?

[This message has been edited by Vette2000 (edited October 18, 2001).]

nkavanau

I agree that reloading will probably not be required in almost all cases. There is that slim chance it may need to be..
    I ran into a similair problem with my system.
    One NIC connected to my cable modem (since gone to ADSL)and the second to my home net. Things went great for the longest time, then suddenly lost my home net, but internet was running fine.
    Either card on it's own worked, but not both together. The second card loaded would not work. Tried different slot, cards (D-LINK, 3-COM), replaced cables, manual change of IRQ's etc but nothing would work. After a few weeks of playing, tweaking and swearing I decided to take it to a local shop and let them sort it out. To make a long story short, 2 shops had no more luck tan I did, so I backed everything up, reloaded, and presto, it worked fine. That was 6 months ago and it's still working.
    Specs: ASUS P5A/K6III-400, 512 Ram, 2xIBM 10/100 NIC's W/Wake on Lan, ATI Vid, SB 128,
    HP CDR-W
    Maybe a rare one, and sometimes calls for drastic measures. It became a trade off for time. Spend a few more weeks trying or a few hours rebuilding..