[RESOLVED] OWA and Intercepter Firewall

Thread: [RESOLVED] OWA and Intercepter Firewall

JKSteger

Post OWA and Intercepter Firewall

Hey guys,
    I'm one of the Tech at my company that have several client sites that I have to spend up to 4 to 6 hours with every week for NetAdmin duties. My problem is this... At the office we run Exchange 2000 and I use OWA (Outlook Web Access) to get to my email and calender. This works everywhere except at one client that has an Intercepter firewall. Every time I access the OWA site I get propted for a name & password which is normal...I type it in and after a moment the logon prompt comes back except that the password field is empty. This process repeat's istelf 3 times and then I get the "Access Denied" message in IE.

What I need to know is
    1) What ports does OWA use beside 80
    2) Has anyone seen this problem
    3) What was your resolution to the problem

BTW, on the Intercepter ALL ports are closed (Internally and externally) and must be manually opened. I've set up all standard ports policy to state all traffic originating from inside can come back in.

What gives?

JKS

------------------
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
    John Cage (1912-1992)

MacGyver

I don't know why this is happening to you, but when something like this happens to me, I use www.safeweb.com and access the site through that. That usually gets around the issue, although I know that's not solving the problem directly.

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.
    Our Daily Bread daily devotional online!

JKSteger

I'll try it next week,
    Thanks,

JKS

------------------
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
    John Cage (1912-1992)

I’m assuming that you’ve removed the firewall completely and were fully successful connecting after. If you haven’t, try. If that’s it dump the firewall and try something like zonealarm or something else or nothing.

Make sure they are running a decent version of IE like 5 to 5.5. We have had a few issues with IE 4.0 and earlier and almost any other non M$ browser not letting OWA work properly ( I haven’t seen a single Nutscrape user get into OWA and have never tried with Opera).

I think that OWA uses port 80 to connect as my customers do it through a firewall that blocks anything but port 80. I don’t think it uses any odd scanning techniques as my firewall hasn’t alerted me to any udp scans or anything else from the server

Check the account at the server level. I have noticed that the accounts for some users just get hosed up. Try to logon as them from a different PC and see if you can do it there. If not – check the account.